Huskies split doubleheader, score 14 runs in game two

By Ethan Gonzales, Sports Editor

DeKALB – NIU softball split a doubleheader with Ball State University Tuesday after recording a season-high 16 hits in game two.

GAME ONE

The Huskies mustered just three hits total in game one. Junior catcher/outfielder Ellis Erickson scored the only run for the Huskies after a throwing error from Ball State redshirt senior utility player Jazmyne Armendariz.

Freshman utility player and reigning MAC Pitcher of the Week Danielle Stewart pitched all six innings for the Huskies. Stewart impressed on the mound again despite the loss, as she gave up two earned runs on four hits while striking out two batters.

Cardinal sophomore pitcher Angelina Russo pitched a complete game for Ball State. In seven innings of work, Russo allowed no earned runs on three hits while striking out six batters. 

Junior outfielder Remington Ross was credited with an RBI (runs batted in) after a squeeze bunt scored junior outfielder Kaitlyn Mathews from third base. A wild pitch from Stewart allowed the Cardinals to plate one more run in the second inning.

Ball State snapped the Huskies’ four-game winning streak with the victory.

GAME TWO

A fifth-inning scoring explosion for the Huskies resulted in a 14-10 win over Ball State in game two of the doubleheader Tuesday night.

NIU scored seven runs in the fifth inning, highlighted by a two-run home run by freshman outfielder Kiley Conner. Five Huskies recorded RBIs in the fifth inning to turn a 7-7 tie into a 14-7 lead over the Cardinals.

The Cardinals came back from a 5-0 deficit in the top of the first inning with a five-run inning immediately after in the bottom of the first. The game proceeded to be a back-and-forth affair until the fifth inning.

Senior infielder Kelly Walinski, freshman outfielder Ally Rodriguez and senior utility player Sam Mallinder led the way for the Huskies at the plate with three hits each. The trio combined for five RBIs in the victory. 

The high-scoring affair saw both teams use three pitchers. Junior pitcher Claire Norred started on the mound for the Huskies, but was pulled after just one inning of work. Norred gave up eight earned runs on six hits and struck out only one batter.

Senior pitcher Delaney Ostrowski and freshman pitcher Lily Cassell combined to pitch 5.3 innings and gave up two earned runs to finish the game.

UP NEXT

The Huskies will finish their three-game series with Ball State at noon Wednesday in Muncie, Indiana. Live stats will be available via SidearmStats and will be streamed on ESPN+.