Creativity, passions and histories at Rep Yo Org

The Distinguished Men of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. performs on stage in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium. Eight black student organizations represented their histories through stepping and performance at the Rep Yo Org event on April 15. (Joseph Howerton | Northern Star)

By Joseph Howerton, Video Editor

DeKALB – During Saturday’s storm, another electrifying manifestation occurred as eight Black student organizations exhibited what they could do.

At 8 p.m. April 15 at the Carl Sandburg Auditorium, an audience gathered to witness Rep Yo Org, a showcase of performing arts by NIU’s Black Greek and non-Greek organizations hosted by the Black Student Union.

Each organization had performers represent their group’s creativity, passions and histories to the audience and fellow organizations.

Representing sororities included the Eta Delta chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc. and the Zeta Iota chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. Fraternities represented included the Epsilon Omicron chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc., the Distinguished Men of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. Epsilon Phi chapter and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. of the Iota Delta chapter.

Non-Greek organizations represented included modeling, fashion and photography organization Embrace Modeling, modeling organization Present Perfect Modeling Organization and NIU’s best dance crew, according to MCs, Final Warning.

The Zeta Iota chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. performs on stage in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium. Eight black student organizations represented their histories through stepping and performance at the Rep Yo Org event on April 15. (Joseph Howerton | Northern Star)

Performers represented their organizations through impassioned mixes of dance, song, fashion and verbal history. Routines took full advantage of the space, leaving the stage to perform or even leaping out of the crowd having waited for their moment to shine, all the while displaying feats of athleticism and flexibility in dance routines. The energy of the performances spread to the crowd, as they would chant or sing along, even dance in their seats.

Alyssa Jarrett, a member of the dance crew Final Warning, performed a compilation with her group of seven dances that they practiced for the upcoming event.

“We were founded in 2015, we’re still going strong with over 20 dancers,” Jarret said.

The audience cheered throughout the performances from all organizations, some even calling out to the people they knew on stage to fire their spirits further.

Organizations were not the only ones allowed to show their stuff, as the MCs held small competitions for volunteers to participate in. Competitions included best dancer, best dressed, best twerker and trivia questions. Winners received a t-shirt or tickets to Blackout, the after party following the Rep Yo Org event.

SiHia Stokes, sophomore communications major, said that Rep Yo Org is a great way for students to see what Black organizations have to offer.

“You can meet people and see what will fit you and what you will be interested in doing,” Stokes said. “I really do like seeing them show off.”

The Black Student Union’s next event will be a Mass Meeting to meet and discuss 2023-2024 election candidates. This event runs from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. April 17 at the Center for Black Studies.