Comical movies, new album release next week

Olivia Rodrigo in the summer of 2021 visiting the White House. The actress and singer releases her second album “Guts” on Sept. 8. (Wikimedia Commons)

What’s in the books for next week in terms of media? Read on to discover what music, movies and TV shows are releasing. 

ARISTOTLE AND DANTE

Based on the bestselling young adult duology by Benjamin Alire Sáenz, “Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe” follows teenagers Ari (Max Pelayo) and Dante (Reese Gonzales) as they become friends turned lovers in El Paso, Texas in 1987. It is a movie about self-identity and the long, hard road it takes to finally accept and love oneself. Family dynamics, sexuality and racial inequity are explored, delving into heavy themes. The film releases in theaters on Sept. 8. 

GUTS

Singer-songwriter Olivia Rodrigo has been teasing her new album “Guts” for months, which is now releasing on all music streaming platforms on Sept. 8. Her singles “Vampire” and “bad idea right?” are already out, which, upon listening, indicates that fans should expect another pop punk album similar to her debut album “Sour.” Her new album will contain a 12-song tracklist with the names of the songs already announced on Aug. 1. Her first album has the well-known themes of heartbreak and growing up. For “Guts,” based on the tracklist, the overarching theme may once again be along the lines of relationships and love. 

VIRGIN RIVER

Season five of the popular Netflix series “Virgin River” is set to release on Sept. 7. 10 out of the 12 episodes will be available to watch on the season’s premiere date, while fans will have to wait until Nov. 30 for the last two episodes. The new season will feature more heartbreak, small-town drama and a wildfire that threatens to destroy Virgin River and its citizens. The show got renewed for a sixth season back in May, but with the Hollywood writer’s strike going on, production for season six has been delayed. 

MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING 3

“My Big Fat Greek Wedding” carries on the franchise with the third installment coming out in theaters on Sept. 8. The Portokalos travel to Athens for a family reunion, with fresh love and new comedy, if the trailer is any indication. Fortoula (Nia Vardalos) plans to honor her father’s dying wish by going back to her family’s roots in Greece. Vardalos will be directing the film, and characters such as cousin Angelo (Joey Fatone), Maria Portokalos (Laine Kazan) and aunt Voula (Andrea Martin) will return.