SGA: Appoints deputy speaker; passes 2 bills

The Student Government Association sign located in the Holmes Student Center ground floor in the OASIS space in 2022. SGA Senator Chris English was elected the new deputy speaker for the 2023-2024 school year on Sept. 15, at the SGA meeting. (Northern Star File Photo)

DeKALB – The Student Government Association started the semester with a new deputy speaker who left no doubt that change was on the horizon. 

SGA Senator Chris English became the new deputy speaker after making his bid and receiving full endorsements from senators Emmanuel Corpuz and Albino Rosales. The vote passed 11-1-1. 

“He (English) does seem qualified for the position considering that his leadership position has already involved him with the executive board last year,” Corpuz said. 

The newly appointed deputy speaker got straight to business, introducing a bill requiring SGA directors to attend committee meetings.  

“The bill requires directors to not only go to committee meetings but also be a secretary for it. A lot of what this does is just making sure the directors are doing their jobs,” English said. 

The SGA previously encountered incidents where SGA committee directors were not showing up to committee meetings.

“This helps fix that. It gives them something to do at those meetings besides to be a representative,” English said.  

No SGA senators contested the bill.   

The SGA also approved a bill that changes the conditions of special elections.  

“We changed it so that a special election is when 50% of the available seats are still available or more after the initial election,” said Speaker of the Senate Cole Hensley. 

The meeting concluded with a reminder from Hensley. 

“Everyone, make sure you do your community service hours,” Hensley said.

SGA meetings are open to the public and held at 2 p.m. on Fridays, with locations posted in the senate’s agendas. SGA minutes and intent to speak forms are available on Huskie Hub.