Editorial: School of Art and Design makes appreciated, late effort

Two figures run with spray paint and artwork. While new security measures are welcomed, it was a little too late for the NIU School of Art and Design. (Eleanor Gentry | Northern Star)
Eleanor Gentry

The Northern Star Editorial Board believes the School of Art and Design is making the right security decisions after another break in to the building this year. However, these changes should have been talked about after the first break in, not the third.

“On Friday, Sept. 8, Dean Kassel (of the College of Visual and Performing Arts) and I met with a group of students to hear their concerns about the vandalism,” said Jessica Labatte, director of the School of Art and Design, in a statement to students, faculty and staff. “I was struck by the students’ courage and the openness with which they shared the impact this incident has had on them as students and artists.”

Labette said the meeting included discussions of preventative measures as well as a list of immediate and “longer-term” actions.

One of the security decisions involves surveying art students, faculty and staff on the desirability of security cameras, something Abbie Hultquist, a senior Ceramics major, said she wanted.

“It’s been really gut-wrenching. Walking out that first time and seeing the studio destroyed, it was just devastating,” Hultquist said to the Northern Star. “The fact that it’s just been continually going on is frustrating. I don’t really think there is a price tag on making students feel safe and honestly, I think installing cameras is a pretty easy solution to the problem.”

Other measures include installing locks that require students to swipe their OneCard to access the building at a currently undecided time. NIU will prioritize installing the new locks on the main entrance first, making sure the other doors are locked and inaccessible, said Joe King, associate director of media relations and editorial content.

NIU student’s art works with green paint smeared on them sit on a cart. The paint ruined student’s art work. (Courtesy of Abbie Hultquist)

NIU plans on adding the new locks to all the doors, but does not have a timeline for the installation process.

The School of Art Design is also planning to create a mural for students to display photos of their art work. Faculty and staff are also required to lock classroom doors when not in use.

In the future, leadership roles at NIU should communicate with students about solutions after the very first incident. The current security plans weren’t discussed until after the third break in, King said. 

NIU’s art students work hard; and while the current solutions are welcomed, it’s a slap in the face to remind students that NIU wasn’t going to make those changes the first time.