Over 100 businesses to participate in job fair

Employers set up tables on the floor of the Convocation Center for a job fair. The All-Majors Internship and Job Fair takes place at the Convocation Center on Wednesday. (Northern Star File Photo)
Northern Star File Photo

DeKALB – We’re told a degree will open many doors for us, but it’s another thing to get your foot in the door.

NIU Career Services will be hosting the All-Majors Internship and Job Fair from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Convocation Center. 

More than 100 employers will be at the event, according to Brian Pillsbury, director of Career Services. Employers will be from a mix of nonprofit and for-profit organizations. 

A full list of employers at the upcoming job fair is available on Huskies Get Hired under the events tab. The list of employers attending the fair include a.c.e. therapies, Rockford school district and Ideal Industries, Inc.

“There will be some employers who are open to hiring all majors and other employers whose jobs are specific enough that they target specific majors,” Pillsbury said. “Any and all majors are welcome, and anyone of any major should be able to find something that they’re interested in.”

Students are given an opportunity to not just seek potential employers but network with those in their field.

Tobi Adeyemi, a senior electrical engineering major, attended a prior job fair where he received a job offer. Adeyemi declined another offer, but aims this year to obtain employment after graduation. 

“This time to get an actual job when I graduate to secure something for me. To have something laid out when I graduate,” Adeyemi said.

Students can prepare for the job fair by bringing an updated resume and wearing work appropriate attire.

Pillsbury said the best way to prepare for the job fair is for students to identify which employers they want to speak to. After identifying possible employers, a student can prepare talking points and questions.

“The people who are most successful at an event like this come prepared to talk to a handful of employers specifically,” Pillsbury said.

Seyi Olonilua, a senior finance major, said he wants to meet employers that are flexible and willing to hire then and there.

“I was going there hoping most of the employers are willing to hire more quickly than others because I know a lot of companies out there aren’t really hiring right now,” Olonilua said.

Those unable to attend the fair can still make use of this list and contact employers directly.

Career Services and career counselors will offer assistance to any students needing help preparing for employment opportunities.

Professional headshots will be available to be taken at no charge at the job fair.