Don’t shy away from tutoring

Daniela Barajas
A student experiences an educational epiphany while receiving math tutoring. NIU students shouldn’t be anxious to get tutoring. (Daniela Barajas | Northern Star)

For students who may feel embarrassed to use the tutoring centers on campus, don’t be. The Math Assistance Center is one of many  learning tools available to help students reach academic success.

All students struggle with schoolwork at times no matter the subject. If there is one class you are having a hard time with, the tutoring centers on campus exist to help you. 

“Tutoring allows students to discuss class material and talk through their understanding with another person, which aids with assignment comprehension and knowledge retention,” according to Learner, an online tutoring website.

MAC, the Math Assistance Center, is a tutoring center on the first floor of the Founders Memorial Library designed to help students with math coursework.  

“I’m in a single math course calc three, and I’m not the best paying attention in class, so it’s really nice that I can just come here and, like, you know, relearn,” said Jonathan Mathew, a junior statistics major.

When students seek a tutor, they are putting academics first and advocating for themselves. No one is going to judge them for getting extra help.

Kevin Shryock, MAC coordinator and lead tutor, explained why it’s important to get tutoring.

“If I want to convince somebody to come to tutoring, it’s to point out that we are the place that can color in between the lines that really add more details and more applications to your class and make it more interesting than what you’ll ever just get from lecture because lecture is just never enough,” Shryock said.

Going to a tutor can be scary because you are opening up to people you may not know.

“It’s an incredibly vulnerable experience to have to go to a stranger and say that you feel unsure about your performance in class. There’s very few things that are more vulnerable than that,” Shryock said. “Especially when in college, it’s the first time that you are really being tested as an individual, away from your support system.”

Everyone should go to a tutor, you shouldn’t be afraid to put yourself first and ask for help. Everybody needs help.