Stonehouse Academic Journal recognized at SGA

Rachel Cormier
SGA board members approve past reports on the agenda on Oct. 13 at the SGA meeting in the Holmes Student Center. The board approved Stonehouse Academic Journal as a student organization on Friday. (Rachel Cormier | Northern Star)

DeKALB – The student publication Stonehouse Academic Journal was approved as a student organization at the SGA meeting on Friday.

The publication is a student-run academic organization, sponsored by NIU’s XI Delta Chapter of Sigma Tau Delta. The publication showcases a collection of student essays and art and has been in print since 2017, but the Editor in chief Lillian Kennedy says the group has finally branched off as its own group.

“Stonehouse has long been an organization underneath Sigma Tau Delta English Honors Society,” Kennedy said. “However, this year we are excited to announce that Stonehouse Academic Journal is now its own separate organization. Stonehouse still has the backing of Sigma Tau Delta, but the separation allows for more events, funding and official members and officers.”

While it wasn’t mentioned at Friday’s meeting, Speaker of the Senate Cole Hensley addressed the SGA’s current budget at the University Council meeting on Oct. 11.

“So far through our budget, we have spent roughly half on supplemental funding. Hensley said. “By the end of this week, I think we’re going to spend roughly two-thirds. Our executive funding is about half of what it is.”

Hensley also addressed SGA’s plans to fill its current open positions as well as the President’s Cabinet.

SGA meetings are open to the public and held at 2 p.m. on Fridays, with locations posted in the senate’s agendas. SGA minutes and intent to speak forms are available on Huskie Hub.