State of SGA address discusses club funding

Sean Reed
Speaker Cole Hensley stands and speaks during the State of the SGA address Friday. The State of the SGA address provided members of SGA the opportunity to reflect on their progress and accomplishments for the 2023-2024 school year. (Sean Reed | Northern Star)

DeKALB – The Student Government Association reflected on their accomplishments and progress for the 2023-2024 school year for nine minutes at the State of the SGA address Friday.

The State of the Student Government Association was originally scheduled for noon but did not take place until 12:10 p.m. due to being moved to a different location. 

The address was originally planned to be in the Holmes Student Center Capitol Room but got moved to Room 305 in the Holmes Student Center. The Caption Room was scheduled for the Illinois Latino Council on Higher Education conference.

The room change was not made official until 11:57 a.m.

OLIVIA NEWMAN

President Olivia Newman said SGA funded 87 student organizations this semester. 

“The director of organization oversight and the OO (Organization Oversight) committee approved 41 student organizations this school year and together they hosted six workshops that all students could attend to learn more about how to start a student org or how to fill out the forms and how to plan an event,” Newman said. 

Newman said SGA sponsored and organized multiple events this semester including the spring involvement fair, Celebrate NIU and the Chicago Bulls, and Proud to be First.

“We hosted SGA Connect, an event aimed to provide a space for student organization leaders and members of SGA to network,” Newman said. 

COLE HENSLEY

Speaker Cole Hensley said this year had a lot of ups and downs but the Board of Elections managed to update the election policies. 

“The SGA senate, this semester, has passed numerous pieces of legislation up until this point. The senate has passed over 60 pieces of resolutions with several on the board today (Friday) and over 30 bills,” Hensley said.

Hensley said all senators and justices should be held accountable for their actions.

“Last week, a senator was dismissed for the failure to come to all senate meetings that had accumulated by unexcused absences,” Hensley said.

The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee put together the Proud to be FirsteEvent. 

“Proud to be First event is where first generation college students go to interact with their peers,” Hensley said.

LANDON LARKIN

Treasurer Landon Larkin said SGA has split almost $60,000 among 86 student organizations this year. 

“One of our major achievements this year has been implementing more inclusive and accessible annual funding program by making it easier for student orgs to be supported to be held to promote more involvement on campus and foster more collaboration,” Larkin said. 

SGA will host a special meeting at 3 p.m. on Friday in the HSC Skyroom.