Baker named finalist for Armed Forces Merit Award

Mingda Wu
2009 inductee Bill Baker speaks as a part of the series of speakers on Saturday night at the 2022 Athletics Hall of Fame ceremony. Baker has been named a finalist for the 2023 Armed Forces Merit Award. (Mingda Wu | Northern Star)

DeKALB — Radio play-by-play announcer and United States Air Force veteran Bill Baker has been named an “Elite 11” finalist for the 2023 Armed Forces Merit Award, NIU announced on Friday.  

The Armed Forces Merit Award honors an individual and/or group for their involvement in the military and/or college football.

Prior to his sportscasting career, Baker served as a helicopter pilot in the U.S. Air Force from 1969-73.

Since becoming lead announcer in 1980, Baker has called 514 football games and more than 1,200 men’s and women’s basketball games. He’s hosted coaches’ radio and television, special events and banquets. 

After serving 44 years as the “Voice of the Huskies,” Baker announced his retirement in August. His retirement will be made effective at the end of the 2023 NIU football season. 

The winner will be selected by a pool of FWAA members and two representatives from the Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl. The award winner will be announced on Nov. 9 on ESPN.