Volleyball suffers sweep at Central Michigan

Huskies burned by fiery Chips
Skyler Kisellus
From left: Graduate student outside hitter Katie Erdmann, junior setter Sophie Hurt, junior libero Crew Hoffmeier, junior outside hitter Nikolette Nedic, sophomore middle blocker Savanah Brandt and graduate student outside hitter Isabelle Percoco gather into a huddle during NIU’s Oct. 13 matchup with the Eastern Michigan University Eagles at Victor E. Court. The Huskies suffered their second consecutive sweep in Friday’s series-opener against Central Michigan University. (Skyler Kisellus | Northern Star)

Kills aplenty, two pivotal challenges and a battle past 25 points, all in the first set of a match seemingly destined to go the distance.

Instead, it was just the beginning of NIU volleyball’s downhill slide to utter defeat.

The Huskies (8-14, 6-4 MAC) suffered their second sweep in as many matches after falling in straight sets, 29-31, 19-25, 15-25, to Central Michigan University (9-13, 3-7 MAC) on Friday at McGuirk Arena in Mount Pleasant, Michigan.

NIU trailed for a majority of the first set before taking a 22-21 lead. Soon after, the Huskies fended off CMU set point four times, including a successful challenge that nixed what appeared to be the Chippewas’ set-winning kill. CMU ultimately snuck away with the set after doubling up from a 29-29 tie.

“I thought we did a really good job battling that first set,” said NIU volleyball head coach Sondra Parys. “There was a lot of momentum that kind of shifted from there, and we just did not do a good job responding.”

Entering the match as the MAC’s No. 2 team in blocks, NIU’s front row was outclassed by CMU’s, who won the blocking battle nine to six.

The Huskies struggled to impede the Chippewa offense, who recorded 47 kills and .258 hitting. CMU junior opposite/outside hitter Linnea Willer led the night with 12 kills, closely followed by teammate junior opposite hitter Krystina Kasson’s 11. Chippewa sophomore setter Claire Ammeraal took home the match crown in assists, totaling 39.

Junior middle blocker Charli Atiemo was NIU’s top terminator after racking up nine kills in the match.

Junior libero Crew Hoffmeier was the lone match statistical leader from the visitors’ side of the net. Hoffmeier tallied a match-best 14 digs.

DOWNWARD SPIRAL

After the first set, NIU’s offense hit a rough patch. The team’s hitting percentage that started at .261 was reduced to .145 by night’s end after hitting performances of .093 and .036 in the second and third sets, respectively. The Huskies accounted for 38 kills and 21 attack errors – 12 of those being unforced errors.

“It just comes down to us working things out as a team,” said junior outside hitter Nikolette Nedic. “We know we can beat these teams. It’s kind of, just, our side. We had a lot of unforced errors and, just, things that we can control that we weren’t really executing.”

NIU also surrendered five service aces in the final two frames – four in the third set alone – after not allowing a single ace in the first set.

STANDINGS SETBACK

NIU’s defeat, combined with Ohio University’s victory over Miami University, dropped the Huskies from No. 5 to No. 6 in the MAC’s overall standings.

The Huskies will return to the court at 3 p.m. CDT Saturday in hopes of forcing a series split with the Chippewas. The match will be broadcasted on ESPN+, and live statistics will be available on SIDEARM Sports.