Getting good sleep in college

A girl sleeps in her dorm room. Getting good sleep in college is important. (Courtesy of Getty Images)

Balancing your sleep with school is hard. With late night study sessions, all nighters studying for exams or even late-night college parties, it’s hard to get good quality sleep, and it may seem like the school system is working against that. 

The problem of not getting enough sleep is an epidemic of college students worldwide. For the universities, it’s not really their responsibility how much of a good night’s rest you can get. In high school, it may have been the case where you would wake up at maybe 5 a.m. to go school, but for college that problem is not there.

With students being able to choose their classes, what time you go to those classes and what you do throughout the day, how much sleep you get is on you.

“At least 60% of college students have poor quality sleep and garner, on average, seven hours of sleep per night,” according to the CDC. Reasons for this, excluding mental health factors, are staying up late at night studying and doing other activities that will mess up your circadian rhythm like changes in your routine, bright lights at night and staying on your phone at night.

Getting good sleep is hard, but a way you can help get a good night’s sleep is by setting a nighttime routine or schedule for yourself. Having a dedicated nighttime routine is beneficial. It can put you in the mood to sleep and get you higher quality sleep. 

Next, you should remove distractions like your phone, games or anything that will prevent you from sleeping. Meditation is also a good option to help fall asleep.