HOTWORX is turning up the heat in DeKalb

Tim Dodge
The outside of HOTWORX, a pilates studio, located in Sycamore. The newly opened gym consists of an infrared sauna and has 11 different types of workout sessions. (Tim Dodge | Northern Star)

DeKALB – Feel the burn with HOTWORX as it celebrates its grand opening. The 24-hour fitness studio is creating buzz, as members are burning away calories to hit their 27,000 calorie goal, known as HOTWORX Level 7.  

HOTWORX is the newest addition to the DeKalb/Sycamore gym scene. The infrared fitness studio, located at 2690 DeKalb Ave., will celebrate its first 90 days open with discounted membership prices, local vendors, a ribbon cutting ceremony and a visit from one of the virtual instructors. The fitness studio is a one-of-a-kind experience, offering a semi-private fitness studio for a fraction of the price. 

“We have 8 different isometric workouts, 4 HIIT session workouts and free weights,” said Kennady Ebenroth, HOTWORX general manager and member. “You get to feel so good when you’re done. It is not hard on your body, it’s refreshing.”

There are eight 45-minute isometric classes. The classes are: Hot ISO, Hot Yoga, Hot Pilates, Hot Warrior, Hot Core, Hot Buns, Hot Bands and Hot Barre None, according to its website. There are also three 15-minute HIIT workouts, including Hot Cycle, Hot Blast and Hot Thunder. The gym also offers the FX Zone that houses free weights that go up to 50 lbs. 

3 MONTH REVIEW

After attending HOTWORX for three months, people can begin to easily differentiate between each class. The virtual instructors guide gym-goers through the workouts aimed to target different aspects of the body. They all vary in difficulty and change depending on how the body is adjusting to the heat. 

HOT ISO

Hot Iso is HOTWORX’s specially designed workout consisting of isometric holds. This class is a mix of pilates, yoga and resistance training. This is a great introduction class to understand what HOTWORX is all about. However, if new to infrared saunas, start with lower heat with this class as there are very intense holds.

HOT YOGA

Hot Yoga uses athletic-style poses to best engage the infrared energy of the sauna. The class focuses on static holds and core conditioning. On the first try, this class was very hard, the burn should be emphasized in the class description. The class, however, allows guests to learn how to breathe correctly. The Hot Yoga sessions condition the body to withstand the heat through breath control. According to Ebenroth, this is the most popular isometric class among members. 

HOT PILATES

Hot Pilates is a traditional mat pilates class. The class focuses on core engagement, concentration and breathing. As clients progress through the poses, they can understand the importance of breathing through movements for better mind to muscle connection. This class is a personal favorite, as the slow burn intensity keeps me coming back.

HOT WARRIOR

Hot Warrior is the hardest class offered by HOTWORX. It is the big sister to Hot Iso, as the class offers more advanced isometric holds. The classes have an emphasis on balance and core strength. 

HOT CORE

Hot Core offers a full body workout of arms, hips, abdominals and lower back. Initially, one would assume the class is similar to Hot PIlates – wrong. It is the more intense version. This class requires you to have a handle on mind to muscle connection. If not engaging the core properly, this workout will not do much.

HOT BUNS

Hot Buns works to directly target the glutes and lower back. The class consists of isometric glute workouts where you can feel your muscles firing by using bands. The class requires the use of two types of resistance bands, small and large loop bands. Save some money and don’t purchase the bands from HOTWORX. While sturdy, they are not worth the price.

HOT BANDS

Members burn the most calories with Hot Bands. The class is a full body workout that aims to burn 25% to 30% more than Hot Yoga. The workout combines isometric holds and dynamic reps with resistance bands. This class is not for the faint of heart, it is intense and the burn is persistent.

HOT BARRE NONE

Using the sauna wall, members are guided on how to perfect their posture, poise and balance. The class uses ballet postures with dynamic reps to build leg muscles. Before starting this workout, members should stretch their feet. This workout is fun and allows for time in the sauna to fly by; however, to untrained feet, this workout is a challenge. It is very easy to cramp in this session as people spend a big chunk of the work in releve. 

HOT CYCLE

Hot Cycle is a high intensity bike ride that leaves members shaking as they exit the sauna. This workout is one of three that can be paired with an isometric exercise to create a “bonfire.” This is essentially a high calorie burning workout at HOTWORX. This by far was one of the hardest workouts but extremely popular amongst members. This session requires serious cardiovascular endurance. After the first try, it is very intimidating to come back.

HOT BLAST

Hot Blast is high intensity elliptical training that is designed to target the upper and lower body. There is lots of pushing and pulling involved. Out of the three HIIT workouts, Hot Blast is definitely the easiest. The workout does not have the same strength intensive movements as cycling or rowing.

HOT THUNDER

Hot Thunder is a high intensity form of rowing using a water rower with 360 handle swivels. This workout is the hardest that is offered by HOTWORX. The workout targets the back, biceps, triceps, shoulder, core and hip flexors. When exiting the sauna, every muscle in your body feels awake and on fire. This workout is not recommended for true beginners as it is extremely intense. 

The semi-private gym requires pin or fob entry via app, and there are no visitors allowed during non-staffed hours. Gym-goers schedule their session on the HOTWORX mobile app, where up to three guests can share a sauna. However, most guests opt for solo sessions. The sauna temperatures range from 65 degrees to 130 degrees Fahrenheit. The effects of the session are felt more in higher sauna temperatures.

The initial price for a membership is $59 with monthly payments of the same price. Members are also required to purchase the HOTWORX mat and towel for $99. While the pricing appears steep, the studio runs promotions monthly for both memberships and equipment. 

“$60 a month is going to Starbucks every week, you just have to think if you want to invest in your body and your health. HOTWORX is a health investment, not just a gym,” Ebenroth said. “The infrared and the saunas are good for your health. It helps lower blood pressure and decrease stress.”

HOTWORX makes it a point to get involved with its members. The gym hosts events throughout the month that act as a reward for members. These events often are serving sweet treats like candy or mimosas. 

“We really try to make it feel like a family and fun. We know who our members are, and our members are starting to know each other,” Ebenroth said. “It is not just a gym, it is a level up from a gym.”

Overall, the fitness studio offers something for everyone, whether it be HIIT workouts, strength and conditioning or just a community. The initial starting fee is intimidating; however, the more sessions booked the more it pays itself forward. The infrared sauna fitness studio could be one the trendiest franchises to land in DeKalb this fall.