Never too old for Halloween

(Courtesy of Getty Images)
A woman dressed as a green witch holds a jack-o’-lantern. A person is never too old to celebrate Halloween. (Courtesy of Getty Images)

After weeks of planning, the costume is on, make-up is complete and trick-or-treating has begun. There is no age when a person should stop trick-or-treating or enjoying the festive season of the undead. 

Chloe Steffel, a sophomore human development and family services major, said she believes no one should shy away from celebrating Halloween. 

“Don’t let your age stop you from having fun,” Steffel said. “Halloween is the only holiday that, like, isn’t really, like, a family holiday.” 

Thanksgiving is about spending time with family and giving thanks for the blessing of the past year. Christmas, Hannaka and Kwanzaa are all about spending time with family and, of course, presents. Valentine’s Day promotes love with a significant other or friends and family. 

Halloween is about you and what you want to be. Although, it is ironic that you focus on yourself by pretending to be someone else. 

Students away from home should still celebrate the night of Oct. 31. 

“Just because you’re an adult now, just because you’re away from home, that shouldnt discourage you from having fun or to make a different tradition for Halloween because, like, Halloween’s for everybody,” Steffel said. “It’s meant to have fun.” 

For students in the dorms or an apartment, there are plenty of ways to celebrate the spooky season. Students can decorate their rooms with window clings and command hooks, paint pumpkins or have a horror film marathon. 

While the season of spirits’ origins do stem from various religions, Halloween has shifted over time. Today, the holiday is about having fun and dressing up as a favorite character. 

For one night of the year, the misfit can be the hero, the main character. The evening of Oct. 31 is a night of fantasy where anyone can be a princess, superhero, special agent, astronaut, witch or ghost. 

“Halloween, like, shouldn’t be something that people are embarrassed for,” Steffel said. “It’s meant for, like, anybody, you know, there shouldn’t be any judgment, or it shouldn’t be taboo for adults to enjoy it.” 

Take pride in the dark holiday, and go all out, but beware of the spirits of the undead following your shadow.