Arrastia shines at MAC Indoor Championships

Sophomore Iker Gaztambide Arrastia led a strong showing for NIU men’s tennis at the 2023 MAC Indoor Championships, taking first place in both flight three singles and flight two doubles.

Arrastia won every set he faced the entire weekend. In singles, Arrastia started with a 6-2, 7-5 victory. He followed that up with a dominant 6-2, 6-2 second-round performance and then a 6-3, 6-3 win in the finals.

Arrastia and his partner, fellow sophomore Christopher Norlin, together won their three doubles matches by scores of 8-5, 8-3 and 8-5 to claim a first-place finish.

Norlin also had a solid performance in flight two singles, winning his first two matches before falling in the championship round.

Freshman Saul Berdullas and senior Armin Koschtojan brought home another first-place finish for NIU in the flight three doubles bracket after starting with a first round bye.

Sophomore Luke Welker also made a championship round appearance in flight six, but he was defeated in the final by fifth-year Parrish Simmons of Ball State University.

This event marks the end of the 2023 fall season for men’s tennis. Jan. 14 will be the kickoff of the 2024 spring season as the Huskies will head to Starkville, Mississippi, to face Chattanooga University.