CAB to host first Winter Wonderland event

The Holmes Student Center sits under a cloudy sky in February. CAB’s first Winter Wonderland event will be taking place Monday. (Northern Star File Photo)

DeKALB – A petting zoo, a cookie decorating competition and a campfire are just a few of the events NIU’s Campus Activities Board has lined up for the 2023 free Winter Wonderland event.

CAB’s Winter Wonderland will take place from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. this Monday inside the Holmes Student Center.

The event will also include a petting zoo, axe throwing and s’more roasting in the MLK Commons. Cookie decorating and holiday snacks will be in the Oasis Pit. 

Jermiah Williams, a senior psychology major and the Huskies After Dark programming chair, said the will include activities both indoors and outdoors.

“Inside, the area will be more of a calmer and warmer area for staff and students, whoever is there to debrief because outside it’ll be cold,” Williams said. 

Aidan O’Brien, a junior marketing major and CAB president, said NIU has never put on a holiday event at this level.

“This year, we’re really trying to make it outside, and we’re trying to make it better year to year,” O’Brien said.

A feature of 2023’s Winter Wonderland is the giveaway of a special edition mug.

Williams said CAB held a mug designing competition where the winning design was printed on 400 mugs that will be given away at the Winter Wonderland event.

“One thing they wanted to incorporate this year was the mug maker’s competition to incorporate the artist side and have students really feel like they have a creative decision when it comes to campus activities and events,” Williams said.

Snacks will be provided to all who attend, including chocolate-covered pretzels and hot chocolate, according to Williams. 

An outdoor petting zoo will feature animals like chickens and pigs for students to meet and pet. 

“We heard concerns about how there isn’t really anything to do before winter break,” Williams said. “Holidays are about connecting with people, and we just wanted to make it more of a sentimental type of event right before finals and break.” 

According to O’Brien, CAB hopes Winter Wonderland will become an annual event for NIU staff and students to enjoy themselves before finals.