SGA recognizes seven student organizations

Three students stand at a podium talking and gesturing. The Student Government Association met at 2 p.m on Jan. 26 where they appointed a new director of academic affairs, gave seven organizations recognition and a senator violated the University Student Conduct policy. (Northern Star Graphic)

DeKALB – In the Student Government Association’s first senate meeting of the year, the senate granted recognition to seven student organizations.

SEVEN NEW STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS RECOGNIZED

“Some of these orgs are from last semester, some of them have been seeking official approval for quite awhile now,” said Chris English, deputy speaker of the senate.

The resolution to recognize the student organizations passed with a 11-1-1 vote.

The following student organizations gained recognition: Intercultural Student Organization, Engineering Design and Modeling club, Huskie Student Bowling Club, Jazz Education Network, Vietnamese Student Association, English Graduate Student Association and Underground Networking Organization.

A NEW DIRECTOR OF ACADEMIC AFFAIRS

Kavya Joshi, a sophomore majoring in operations management and information systems, was approved by the senate by a vote of 13-0-0 to serve as the new director.

Joshi, now a member of SGA and a member of Women in Business Professions and the Student Advisory Board said she has already set objectives in her new position.

“There are some goals I do want to highlight, such as implementing the development of academic programs here such as the honors program and the CHANCE program and more,” Joshi said.

Four other director roles still remain vacant in the SGA including the Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Greek Affairs, Governmental Affairs, and Public Affairs.

SENATOR ANUKWUOCHA VIOLATES UNIVERSITY STUDENT CONDUCT POLICY

Senator Stanley Anukwuocha was present at Friday’s SGA meeting. The senator showed up to the meeting in a pair of light wash skinny jeans and a green fur lined parka. 

At about 15 minutes into the SGA Senate meeting, Sergeant-At-Arms Niko Bereolos, called for a point of order for Anukwuocha.

“You are required to wear business casual appropriate clothing to senate meetings, not streetwear,” Bereolos said.

Bereolos was correct. Under the “Office Standards” of member expectations all SGA members have to wear appropriate attire during official business. It explicitly states, “The dress code for Senate meetings is business.”

By the rule, skinny jeans and a green fur lined parka are not the business dress code.

Bereolos had a suit on.

SGA meetings are open to the public and held at 2 p.m. on Fridays, with locations posted in the senate’s agendas. SGA minutes and intent to speak forms are available on Huskie Hub.