SGA lowers club member requirement

Three students stand at podiums talking and gesturing. SGA’s meeting on Friday reduced the number of students required in club, mandated training for club leaders and had an incident with a senator bringing in food. (Northern Star Graphic)

DeKALB – The required number of students to start a club has been officially reduced to three students from the previous five after a resolution was passed at SGA’s senate meeting Friday.

“We believe it’s a better number since as Sergeant-At-Arms Bereolos said in the meeting it’ll only require a president, vice president and some secretary or treasurer,” Senator Eddie Guerrero said.

The Bill, 55015, authored by Guerrero passed 7-2-0.

REQUIRED CODE TRAINING

Another Bill, 55014, passed on Friday. The Bill authored by Sergeant-At-Arms Nikolas Bereolos and Chairperson Alexia Musgraves mandates the president or vice president of a student organization must attend Conversation on Diversity and Equity training every fall semester of every academic year.

CODE training, according to NIU’s Social Justice Education Department, is used to help engage students, faculty and staff in learning about cultural differences in our world and explore aspects of the diversity and equity framework.

“I feel like this is really important, at least to have even one person representing the org to come to this type of training,” Musgraves said.

By a count of 9-0-0 the bill passed.

SENATOR ALBINO ROSALES IN-MEETING FOOD AND DRINK ISSUES

A little bit after 2 p.m. Senator Rosales attempted to enter the Sky Room with a tub of Ollie’s Frozen Custard and a box with grilled chicken and potatoes.

“Out of the room, not in the room,” Bereolos said to Rosales.

Rosales explained he had to bring the food with because he would have been late to the SGA Senate meeting otherwise.

“You know the rules, you should have left it somewhere else,” Bereolos said.

After setting his food outside the Sky Room, Rosales brought in with him a lime Bubly sparkling water.

Rosales proceeded to fake a cough and open the lime Bubly. Bereolos called for a point of order to ask Rosales if it was water.

“For the record, it is water, with bubbles to enhance the taste,” Rosales said.

Bereolos consulted with Clerk Emmanuel Corpuz who decided Rosales could not have the beverage during the meeting.

“Finish it or throw it out,” Corpuz said.

MISSING SENATE MEMBERS

Senator Lucas Osman, Deputy Speaker Chris English, Senator Stanley Anukwuocha, Senator Amaka Onebunne and Senator Maria Sofia were not at Friday’s meeting.

This was Onebunne’s second absence this semester.

According to SGA bylaws, any senator who accumulates three absences can be removed from the senate by the Office of the Speaker.

SGA meetings are open to the public and held at 2 p.m. on Fridays, with locations posted in the senate’s agendas. SGA minutes and intent to speak forms are available on Huskie Hub.