Apartments not cheap, plan accordingly

Sean Reed
A photo illustration has a hand holding a pile of money in front of a property manager’s sign. Getting an apartment is expensive, and it’s important to plan ahead for the expenses that come with an apartment. (Sean Reed | Northern Star)

Getting an apartment – and keeping it – is hard to do, especially in college.

The cost of everything to buy to survive keeps inflating, and wages don’t feel like they’re keeping up with those changes. 

To ensure an apartment is right for you, and to determine what price you are able to pay, there are a few things to keep in mind.

LOCATION

First and foremost, it’s smartest to figure out where you want to live. 

If you’re attending NIU, you should decide if you want to stay close to campus or closer to downtown DeKalb, where much of the nightlife in DeKalb is. 

Another smart question to ask is whether it would be smarter to get an apartment closer to where you’re from and thus where your support system is or closer to NIU. 

I’ve lived both close to campus and downtown, and each locale has its perks. 

If you want a less expensive place in a neighborhood not known for restaurants or shops, or if you don’t have a car, closer to campus may be the right choice for you. If you want to take in the DeKalb scene and have a little more cash, living downtown is a great way to feel less like a college student and more like an adult. 

COST

Regardless of where you’re living, an apartment costs money. 

Your housing should be about 25% to 30% of what you take home monthly, according to CNBC, Ramsey Solutions and Bankrate.

These sources suggest you follow the 28/36 rule: no more than 28% of your pay goes toward housing and no more than 36% toward housing plus debt payments. 

If you’re looking at apartments and you can’t find a way to spend less than 28% of your pay, consider adding roommates into the equation to help split the rent.

The more roommates you can get into an apartment, the lower the rent will be.

Remember, rent isn’t the only cost of an apartment. You have to pay utilities and should get insurance as well. 

Also, you have to factor in the upfront costs.

Typically, you’ll end up paying the first and last months’ rents up front along with any fees the property manager may have. 

Make sure to have those funds saved up and ready to go when you start applying for apartments. 

SIZE

While we all want massive three-bedroom apartments all for ourselves, that probably isn’t in the budget. 

For most college students – who have college student jobs – a one-bedroom or a studio is probably about all we can afford by ourselves. 

With a roommate, it gets easier to lower costs, but remember you’ll have to share a kitchen – and probably a bathroom.

While 500 square feet may seem like no space, it’s pretty massive, especially for a college student. 

If you want to live by yourself, consider something small to help save money.

LIFESTYLE

Finally, if you are someone who likes quiet time and neighborhoods full of families, living on Greek Row may not be the best choice for you.

Rather, downtown or finding a boarding room from a DeKalb resident may be the best choice for you. 

If you like to celebrate thirsty Thursdays and stay out late into the night throughout the weekend at Fatty’s, Molly’s or any other watering hole in town, living on the east side of DeKalb, especially near campus, may be your best bet. 

Regardless of what you’re looking for, the Northern Star will host a housing fair from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday in the Holmes Student Center Gallery. Property management companies from around DeKalb will be in attendance, and there will be prizes for attendees.