Former Huskies tackle topics in women’s sports

Sean Reed
Former NIU Director of Athletics Cary Groth (left), ESPN Sportscenter Anchor Nicole Briscoe and Dr. Tonya Davis sit on stage at a Women’s Excellence Panel Discussion held Feb. 7 in the south lobby of the Convocation Center. The three panelists discussed prevalent topics revolving around women’s empowerment at the event celebrating National Girls and Women in Sports Day. (Sean Reed | Northern Star)

DeKALB – Former NIU Director of Athletics Cary Groth regaled a packed audience with her account of the celebration following NIU football’s storied 2003 upset win over the University of Alabama, after which former NIU President John Peters chugged a Kamikaze with “all sorts of alcohol.”

It was one of few lighthearted moments in a very serious discussion about women’s empowerment.

On Feb. 7, a crowd mainly comprising NIU student-athletes, coaches, administrators and even NIU President Lisa Freeman filled the seats in the south lobby of the Convocation Center for the Women’s Excellence Panel Discussion. NIU Athletics hosted the event in celebration of National Girls and Women in Sports Day.

Groth, ESPN Sportscenter aAnchor Nicole Briscoe and Dr. Tonya Davis – all previously affiliated with NIU – came together on stage for a panel moderated by Courtney Vinson, NIU senior associate athletic director and senior woman administrator.

Vinson said the event was part of an effort to demonstrate the widespread unity among women and the support available to them in and out of sports.

“The goal here was to make sure that these young women that were in the audience can see that women can exist in different spaces, that have nothing to do with one another, can still come together and empower women, empower girls and encourage them to do the things that they want to do with their lives,” Vinson said.

The sounds of the band and the buzzers from the nearby arena could be heard in the background as each panelist offered words of wisdom on topics ranging from managing boundaries to overcoming barriers in the athletics industry.

Groth emphasized the importance of not reducing diversity and equity to merely a box that needs to be checked.

Davis spoke on her experiences working in sports while being a woman of color.

Briscoe touched on the need to be relentless and continuing to work past mistakes despite detractors.

Briscoe’s words were significant enough to prompt Sean Frazier, NIU vice president and director of athletics and recreation, to call out from his seat in the audience.

“Say that again for the people in the back!” Frazier shouted.

Briscoe obliged.

“Be stubborn. Work hard,” Briscoe repeated in a louder tone.

The discussion continued until about 5:40 p.m., at which point Groth used her parting words to highlight Freeman’s presence in the audience and express gratitude for her support.

After the event, Briscoe explained celebrations like National Girls and Women in Sports Day serve as an opportunity to further the advancement of women’s sports and give women a stronger voice.

“When you have days like today, where you can spotlight women, it normalizes the conversation,” Briscoe said. “Any time we can not feel like we’re the outliers, and we’re, just, there doing the work like everyone else, not only does it become part of the everyday conversation, but it helps us make room at the table and space and help get heard in a way that maybe we wouldn’t be heard otherwise.”

While all three panelists felt a degree of humbleness from their platform, each gained something different from their time on the stage.

For Briscoe, the event served as a “full-circle moment” for the Roscoe native, who once upon a time revered those in her current position.

“I remember being 16, 17, 18, 19 (years old) and looking at people who were doing what I’m doing now and admiring them, being like ‘someday, I want to be them,’” Briscoe said. “So for me to be able to look into a room of people, and know that there might just be one person who feels that way about me, it’s a really cool, sort of full-circle moment.”

Davis found the discussion to be a fulfilling experience, expressing her excitement at the opportunity to support the next generation of women.

“I felt empowered being up there on that panel tonight,” Davis said. “Really being able to talk to the folks who are in the trenches with me in so many different aspects, so I feel like my cup is full.”

Groth said some who attended the event stuck around afterward to connect with the panelists and request contact information, an exhibit of interest she was pleased to see.

“I mean, even if one ends up in this business, or we can help one, that’s all that matters, is that someone took something away,” Groth said.