SGA appoints new Chief of Staff

Three people stand and gesture while talking at podiums. SGA met on Friday and appointed a new chief of staff, passed a new bill and approved a new club. (Northern Star graphic)

DeKALB – After three months without a chief of staff, the Student Government Association’s senate voted on senior business major Z’Nyah Johnson.

“I think the hardest part was finding someone, just because the chief of staff, you have to have someone you trust that will uphold the HR policy,” Speaker Cole Hensley said.

Johnson, who was appointed by President Olivia Newman, said as chief of staff she plans to create a campus where everybody has an opportunity to thrive.

“I see this position as a gateway to connect influential figures and amplify the voices of students, ensuring that everyone feels heard,” Johnson said.

Johnson was confirmed by the Senate in a vote count of 10-0-0.

NEW SENATE SEAT MINIMUM

A bill that passed Friday, authored by Senator Eddie Guerrero and sponsored by Sergeant-at-Arms Niko Bereolos, gives each college a minimum of two seats in the SGA senate.

“This guarantees that no college will be underrepresented, and it will allow for a greater amount of people with different points of view,” Bereolos said.

The bill passed with a vote of 9-0-0

NEW STUDENT ORGANIZATION RECOGNIZED

The SGA approved the recognition of one student organization, the Child Life Association.

The Child Life Association provides opportunities for members to participate in “hands-on Child Life activities and learn more about various pediatric illnesses and medical procedures,” according to their Huskie Hub profile.

ABSENT SENATORS

Deputy Speaker Chris English, Senator Stanley Anukwuocha and Chairperson Alexia Musgraves were not present at Friday’s meeting.

“If they (senators) get to three or five (missed meetings), impeachment procedure probably won’t be what happens,” Hensely said. “I believe it’s automatic removal.” 

SGA meetings are open to the public and held at 2 p.m. Fridays with locations posted in the senate’s agendas. SGA minutes and intent to speak forms are available on Huskie Hub.