Sallee named MAC Specialist of the Week

Sean Reed
NIU freshman gymnast Isabella Ross places a crown upon freshman Dawsyn Sallee’s head during the Huskies’ home quad-meet Sunday at the Convocation Center. Sallee received MAC Specialist of the Week honors Tuesday after posting NIU’s highest scores on vault and beam at the meet. (Sean Reed | Northern Star)

DeKALB – NIU freshman gymnast Dawsyn Sallee became the first Huskie this season to receive MAC weekly honors Tuesday after being named the conference’s Specialist of the Week.

Sallee competed on vault and floor exercise as the Huskies took first in their home quad-meet Sunday. The college rookie scored 9.850 on vault, tying for her season-high, before matching her personal best of 9.925 on floor. Sallee finished as NIU’s highest scorer in both events.

“Dawsyn’s has been working hard to improve and it’s great to see her rewarded for it,” NIU gymnastics head coach Sam Morreale said via NIU Athletics.

The MAC Specialist of the Week honor is awarded to a gymnast that competes in one or two events.

Sallee’s scores both contributed to NIU’s meet-winning team score of 195.800 as it triumphed over Illinois State University, the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire and the University of Alaska Anchorage. The Huskies put up the program’s all-time best floor score of 49.475 in Sunday’s meet.

This season, Sallee is averaging a team-best 9.813 on vault and 9.753 on floor.

The Huskies will see their next action at 3 p.m. CT Saturday as they compete in a road quad-meet in Raleigh, North Carolina, against North Carolina State University, Iowa State University and Temple University.