Identify values, reinforce personal growth

Getty Images
Fingers touch a wooden block that has a symbol of a person on it. For a successful college experience, students should identify what’s important and choose what to value in life. (Getty Images)

Everyone approaches the world differently. Many are of service to it, while some reap any benefits they can get their hands on; others are at war with the world, while creatives wish to change it. 

But in the end, it’s the world we live in, and you must have the serenity to know it can’t change with a snap.

To navigate this world, it’s crucial to know yourself and stay true to yourself. When you do that, navigating this world becomes easy. 

In a world that’s full of so many creations, it’s important to identify what’s important to you. This can mean the type of environment you work in, the people you choose to hang around or even the relationship you wish to have. 

Living a life based on your values is essential to navigate the world. 

Values are things you believe are important to the way you live and work. 

“Values make you. It symbolizes you,” said Takyla Wilson, a first-year business administration major. “If you don’t have values you’re kind of lost, what do you have to live for?” 

If you are unaware of what you find important, then it is key to take some time to make a conscious effort to identify your values. 

Having personal values helps you focus on the things that bring you happiness and will help you develop. This is better than obsessing over nonsense that doesn’t play a part in your growth or get you anywhere in life. 

“Values keep you in line because if you don’t have values, it’s hard to stay organized within your true beliefs” said Payton Lehor, a first-year marketing major. 

Everyone has values, but at times, you tolerate and accept things that don’t align with them. Aligning yourself with your values helps you stay true to yourself. 

When you know what you value you need to stand firm in it, and sometimes that means speaking up for yourself.

FINDING VALUES

One way to find your values is to look back on your experiences in life. 

If a situation or relationship went wrong, look back and see if there were moments where you clashed with others. Those moments of conflict are often centered around disagreeing values. 

Another way of finding and cementing your values is by taking time to think and be with yourself. 

Sitting and reflecting on moments is often hard work, but that hard work is worth it because in those moments of darkness and emotional upheaval, there are gems to be collected, and those gems are your values. 

Apply pressure to yourself, while having unconditional love for yourself .

Taking accountability for past mistakes and forgiving yourself is key in this process.

Pair that with writing love letters to yourself, and this will open your eyes to how amazing you are. 

Write a list of goals for your future, and write down things you didn’t think you deserved or you could experience. 

These techniques will guide you on your journey of knowing who you are, what you want out of life, what exactly you are working for and what you value going forward.