Sigma Lambda Beta dons high heels against machismo

A figure walks in heels, casting a shadow on the ground. The Sigma Lambda Beta fraternity will host a “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” event at 5 pm on April 4. (Courtesy of Getty Images)

DeKALB – The Sigma Lambda Beta fraternity is hosting a “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on April 4 in the MLK Commons.

The Latino-based fraternity wants to bring awareness to gender inequality and toxic masculinity, where participants will be asked to walk a mile around campus in feminine clothing and accessories.

“Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” is an international men’s march that focuses on the demonstration of men walking in high heels to imitate what it is like to walk in a “female’s shoes.” The march advocates toward ending sexual and domestic violence.

The march will feature guest speakers including Luis Santos-Rivas, director of the Latino Resource Center, who will talk about machismo and gender inequality in Latin American culture. Machismo is a concept of overbearing manliness that can have positive and negative aspects from overly expressive masculine pride.

The walk will start in MLK Commons and loop around in a large square from Lucinda Avenue all the way to Annie Glidden Rd. Walkers will then follow Lincoln Highway back towards Normal Rd. and finish back in the Commons.

The event will conclude with a fundraiser with tamales that will go toward a local non-profit charity in DeKalb.

Sigma Lambda Beta asks participants to bring their own attire for the walk if possible. Participants can sign up for the event here.