Prairie Park offers peaceful beauty

Ro Hong
A pair of trees with faces and an owl carved into them stand in the woods. Prairie Park offers man-made and natural picturesque scenes. (Ro Hong | Northern Star)

There will be times when DeKalb gets too small, and you’ll run into people you know everywhere you go, eat at the same restaurants repeatedly and everything will feel muted. 

However, there is a beautiful place near the East Lagoon that never gets old. 

Pay Prairie Park a visit by going under the bridge and down the trail. You’ll know you’re going the right way when you’re welcomed with a beautiful mural. 

Down the trail, you’ll see the Kishwaukee River flowing north and tall trees progressively covering the view of the river more and more the further you go. You may even cross paths with a herd of deer. 

You’ll eventually stop in awe when you encounter a wonderful art piece that consists of two faces carved into old tree trunks. 

Finals are close, but the beauty of spring is closer. Whenever a study break is needed, come watch the trees get greener and the birds chirp louder. Prairie Park is a perfect spot to take a walk, get in some cardio or even sit down to observe the elegance the town of DeKalb has to offer.