Lawsuit on hold due to REG study

A class action lawsuit against NIU is on hold pending the outcome of a University Council committee’s analysis of grades issued to students who illegally registered for spring 1988 classes using a fraudulent “REG” stamp.

Charles Larson, a communications studies professor, is one of several NIU instructors who claims his grades were altered by the NIU judicial system without his consent. Larson has been considering filing a class action lawsuit against the university because of the alterations, but said no action regarding a possible lawsuit will take place until the UC makes a ruling on the “REG” stamp issue.

The UC subcommittee on academic policy, which has been given the responsibility of reviewing university policies to determine sanctions for students who illegally registered, has met twice to discuss the situation. Both meetings have included disagreement over which body—faculty or the NIU Judicial Office—can administer penalties to students who illegally registered.

The University Professionals of Illinois union unanimously recommended in September to support the filing of the lawsuit against NIU. An attorney representing the union later advised Larson to proceed with his complaint through the NIU grievance process.