JLS outstanding

Let me go on record as saying the John Lennon Society is an asset to the NIU campus as a WHOLE. The JLS led the total campus population when racism appeared in the form of a blatant flyer on campus. The JLS has demonstrated that they have done research in an effort to understand, as well as, attempted to be sensitive to the total lifestyles of all. Many of these students come from well-to-do families but, have attempted to understand minorities, the poor, hungry, the homeless and essentially many of the problems that must be addressed in this era to make this world a better place in which to live.

It has been an honor to have such an outstanding group join forces with many other students with the intentions of giving support to me as a black female struggling for women issues, while serving as a primary shoulder for minorities, non- minorities, black greeks, minority faculty and staff and many international students attending NIU.

NO—The JLS is NOT perfect. It, too has areas that need improvement if it intends to reach its future goals. The JLS is composed of students that are leaders of today and leaders of tomorrow. These students have demonstrated that they know how to assist minority students without attempting to take control of their destiny. My love and appreciation is extended to the JLS.

JOHN LENNON SOCIETY, in the words of Martin Luther King “We must not allow…any force to make us feel like we don’t count. Maintain a sense of dignity and respect.”

M. H. Palmer