Campus dining services adds meal plan options

By Taher Zeitoun

DeKALB — The Huskie Unlimited Access Meal Plan is being replaced by two options offering additional restaurants and food options around campus.

The Huskie Unlimited Access Meal Plan, currently included in room and board fees, will be replaced next fall by the Huskie Block Plan and the Huskie Classic Plan, according to the Campus Dining Services Website.

Daniel Koenen, executive director of Campus Dining Services, said the Huskie Classic plan will be included in room and board and will provide students with the same options as the current Huskie Unlimited Access Meal Plan.

The Huskie Block Plan will provide students with 12 meals per week as well as the addition of either 20, 30 or 40 Flex Dollars per week depending on what plan students choose, according to the Campus Dining Services website.

For 20 Flex Dollars, there is an additional $272.50 per semester charge on top of the room and board rate. For 30 Flex Dollars, there is an additional $400 per semester charge. For 40 Flex Dollars, there is an additional $512.50 per semester.

Koenen said the Block Plan will provide students with a to-go food option for the resident dining halls and will consist of a one-time fee which is still to be determined.

Students will be able to use one of their 12 meals in the block plan at any of the dining halls.

He said the one major difference between the block plan and the classic plan is students will not be able to use the unlimited meal options with the classic plan to dine at the new food court opening up in Stevenson or at the restaurants in the Holmes Student Center.

“Students who want to eat at the food court in Stevenson on their meal plan can only do so with the Huskie Block Plan meal exchanges,” Koenen said. “Otherwise, they will have to use a credit card or flex dollars to do so.”

Koenen said Holmes Student Center will be adding a Tex-Mex national chain restaurant, a fully licensed Starbucks store, Huskie Bar & Grill and a full-service convenience store with grab-and-go options.

The grill will offer options ranging from burgers to chicken tenders and will also have a bar serving various craft beers and wine, he said.

Koenen said the Three Sons Café in Barsema is being renovated into the Three Sons Bistro which will be similar to the café. The renovations will fix the speed of service issues, allowing students to grab food in a more timely manner, he said.

“Students, faculty and staff are busy and do not need to be waiting in long lines in order to get their food,” Koenen said.

Koenen said Stevenson will no longer be an all-you-can-eat location and will be remodeled into a food court. He said the Dog Pound Deli will be converted into a convenience store similar to the one in the Holmes Student Center.

The food court will have a grill and pizza concept, and Campus Dining Services is currently working on a regional franchise sandwich shop concept with a well-known chain, he said. Food options will be wings, pizza and sandwiches.

Koenen said his main goal has been to make a better dining atmosphere around campus.

“I want to give the students more choices, and I want the student experience to be very good when they’re here,” Koenen said.