Delayed safety bulletins ignores student safety and priority

The Northern Star Editorial Board believes the NIU Police and Public Safety failed to promptly inform students about the stabbing in Grant Hall North Saturday, demonstrating a lapse in regard for student safety.

At approximately 9:39 p.m. Saturday, an altercation occurred between two men in a common area of Grant Hall North C Tower, wherein the culprit forced his way into the building and stabbed the victim numerous times, including in his wrist and neck. The victim was taken to Kishwaukee Hospital, and the perpetrator fled the scene.

RELATED: Pre-trial date set for man charged Grant North stabbing

The first bulletin sent out to the student body came at 11 p.m. Saturday. The bulletin referred to an aggravated battery at Grant Towers North and cautioned students to stay clear of the area as the incident was investigated.

Nearly an hour and a half passed before students were informed about the incident, during which time residents of Grant Hall and students in the surrounding area were put at risk. Given the suspect fled the scene just following the incident, it was in the best interest of students to be informed as quickly as possible of the danger in the area. However, the NIU Police and Public Safety failed to effectively deliver on this.

By the time the bulletin was sent to the student body, the perpetrator could have been anywhere on campus, capable of harming an uninformed student because of the lack of notice. By allowing so much time to pass between the incident and the release of the initial Safety Bulletin, students were put at risk for harm.

Many students had no knowledge of the incident until 11 p.m. when the bulletin was released, meaning students who did not hear about the incident from another source before the bulletin came through had no incentive to avoid the area or take caution walking around campus.

RELATED:Suspect in Grant Towers aggravated battery now in custody

Safety Bulletins are a vital resource for students. It’s the responsibility of the NIU Police and Public Safety to inform the student body as quickly as possible in the event violent criminal activity occurs on campus. By dawdling on the release of the bulletin, NIU Police and Campus Safety put the well-being of students at risk.