NIU police introduce safe selling space for online sales

By Taher Zeitoun

DeKALB — NIU police recently implemented the safe selling space for students to promote safety when buying items online.

When utilizing online selling applications like Craigslist and Letgo, buyers have to meet in person and often do not know the seller. The NIU police created the safe selling space to offer students a location for safe buying and selling.

Jason John, NIU police deputy chief, said the space is located in the lobby of the police department and is available 24/7. He said he realized online selling via the internet is a growing trend, and this safe selling space can provide an outlet for students to take advantage of.

“I want to encourage students to utilize this space and realize there are safe methods to buy items online,” John said.

Senior meteorology major Brent Brock said he often buys items online and has had some bad experiences when meeting up to collect.

“I think it’s awesome the police department is helping out the community, and I am more likely to go buy more items online knowing I don’t have to deal with the unsafe aspects of meeting up,” Brock said.

John also said the safe selling space is part of a larger community safety initiative the police force is implementing, including added stops to the Huskie Safe Line to encourage safe travel when coming home late at night. He also said many officers have committed a lot of their personal time and effort to make this initiative possible.

“A lot of my fellow officers have given up their days off to be available at all hours of the day in order to commit in providing a safe community for those who live in it,” John said.

John said his main goal is he never wants students and faculty in his community feeling unsafe.

Cassandra Bermijo, junior fine arts major, said there have been multiple times in which she did not feel safe walking home to her dormitory at Neptune Hall late at night. She also said being able to use the safe line allowed her to study late and have a reliable, safe transport home.

“It’s nice to know there are amenities offered by the campus police department which promote safety for me as a student,” Bermijo said.

John said campus police are partnering with the DeKalb Police Department and will continue to implement new strategies to increase safety throughout the community.

“Hopefully, students see the staff have sacrificed a lot to support this community safety initiative, and we are doing whatever we can to address the patterns in crime,” John said.