Student Association discusses safety on Greek row

By Tom Burton

DeKALB — The Student Association Senate filled two senator positions and opened discussions for the Annie Glidden North Corridor Revitalization Plan in its weekly meeting Sunday.

Tristan Martin, speaker of the Senate, led parliamentary procedure in electing Daniel Teboda and Devin Collins as new SA senators. Martin said he supports both candidates and knows they can bring a lot to SA right away.

“I think they’re going to provide a lot of good things that SA may have not had before,” Martin said. “They’re both freshman and that’s something we’ve really needed on the senate.”

Concerns were addressed during discussions of the candidates were both didn’t have too many specifics as to ideas they may have for the position.

Some senators believed the candidates were not ready for the positions, but the general consensus was they are promising individuals with show potential.

Few senators backed up the candidates in saying they may be unaware of the power they have as a senator, thus prohibiting them from coming up with ideas for presentations.

Teboda is an education major who is involved in Greek life and wants to help out out with trying to improve campus safety, particularly on Greek row.

He also said he wants to make people understand the importance of teachers and make sure incoming first years fully understand the field so they can consider it as an option when declaring a major.

“We believe it’s a very underrated [field],” Teboda said. “It should be emphasized how important it is to be a teacher and we want to show what the benefits of being a teacher is going to do for the future.”

Collins is a member of the Black Male Initiative and said he believes student involvement and increasing enrollment is critical for the success of the student body.  

Neither candidate received unanimous approval from SA for the position, but both received majority and were appointed as senators.

Outside of electing senator positions, SA  had a lengthy discussion on the Annie Glidden North Revitalization Plan and tabled further discussion to next week’s meeting.

The plan seeks to improve quality of life in the surrounding neighborhoods and will focus on the northwest corner of DeKalb along Annie Glidden Road, according to its webpage.

Legislative Director Ian Pearson made a motion to table  discussions to next week.

The senate also reviewed the Homecoming festivities and the deplorable condition of the tailgating yard following Saturday’s football game. They discussed how tailgaters should be accountable for their actions if they leave their respective areas in a messy state.