No rest for NIU baseball

By Northern Star Staff

The grind continues over the summer for the NIU baseball team and their players, as several players will be joining teams across the nation in summer collegiate leagues.

13 players will be joining six different teams and five different leagues for a chance to improve “on the areas they have worked all year with our staff,” Head Coach Mike Kunigonis said, according to a June 18 press release.

“It’s fantastic for getting players experience in many different areas,” Kunigonis said. “The summer is a great time for all our players to regroup and make some gains on the field [and] in the weight room and add to their overall game.”

Junior infielder Tommy Szczasny and sophomore catcher Jake Dunham, along with incoming freshman Jordan Larson, will be traveling north to join the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters in the Northwoods League.

Senior infielder Ty Jandrowski and sophomore infielder Alex Rodriguez will also be heading to Wisconsin, joining the Kenosha Kings of the Wisconsin State League.

Sophomore pitcher Ty Lautenschlager and outfielder Kam Smith will join incoming freshman Brady Huebbe in Indiana on the Lafayette Aviators in the Prospect League.

Four players will be playing in the Chicago Suburban Baseball League for two different teams. Junior pitcher Josh Mutter and sophomore pitchers Matt McCumber and Kyle Seebach will be joining the Crystal Lake Cardinals. In the meantime, junior pitcher Eric Hammer will be joining the staff of the Hammond Lakers.

Incoming freshman Dylan Lonteen will be playing the furthest from DeKalb, joining the Fort Lauderdale Royals of the South Florida Collegiate League.