Spring brings blush pink

Blush pink and pale colors are taking over spring and summer fashion trends, and students can shop locally and affordably to sport these fashion statements.

By Cris Rojo

Following a depressing and political year in 2017, designers reacted in an uplifting and optimistic way which is why spring 2018 is all about the bright blush pink-adjacent hue, transparents and feminine cat-eye sunglasses.

Blush Pink

Ditch the burgundy of fall 2017 and embrace the new ‘it’ color for spring — blush pink. After premiering on the Celine runway, students can find the color in just about everything from footwear to jackets.

“I would definitely say bright pastel colors are a trend that you can expect in spring 2018, but specifically blush pink,” Kohl’s executive manager Dashai Hines said. “The nice thing about spring is you can have fun with different colors, so I can definitely pull out a blush pink skirt and do a denim jean jacket and some denim pants topped with colorful chucks.”

Students wanting to embrace the new color for an affordable price can check out these other emerging trends for spring.

Mules

Students can slide into spring with mules. Alexander Wang featured the footwear style in the brand’s professional office wear-inspired show through monochromatic black mules with silver buckles.

This footwear product is essentially a heel or flat with no backing. Mules are perfect for being stylish and comfortable on the go, to give a professional presentation or spend the day in the office.

Cat Eye Sunglasses

The biggest design element of spring 2018 eyewear is the cat eye frame style.

This shape is a staple in sunglass design because it elongates the face beautifully and perfectly straddles elegance and fierce femininity.

Cat eye frames graced the runways at spring shows from Louis Vuitton to Moschino. The cat eye style is particularly small, with pointed, long and sharp ends but can come in an oversized fit to hide the face more.

Transparent Plastic

Transparent and plastic ensembles seemed to flood the spring runways. Waterproof and perfect for rainy days, Chanel convinced everyone during Paris fashion week that clear is the way to go through their $1,550 transparent over-the-knee rain boots.

“Transparent pieces are staple items that would transform any outfit this spring season,” Ariel Greene senior fashion merchandising major said. “I am incorporating see-through jackets with denim jeans and light colored tops to create a full outfit that is ready for any spring day.”

The idea of transparency and plastic is perfect for students looking to stay dry on campus while displaying their outfit.

Floral Fun

Floral seemed to get an all new makeover during the September Marc Jacobs show.

Rather than using one print of floral, fashion houses are now combining multiple floral prints onto a single garment. This trend can be displayed on every fabric of clothing imaginable, from loose-fitted dresses with square necklines to skinny-fit blazers and close-fitted dress shirts.

“Spring 2018 is gonna be fun,” Hines said. “It’s going to be about colorful, fun things and that’s what I love about spring. You can play with different colors, and it will look great regardless.”