Top-5 athletes; Aug. 23-Sept. 13

By Tom Burton

The stats are from games, meets and matches that occurred from Aug. 23 to Sept. 13. If you feel there are student-athletes left off or deserve to be on the list or in upcoming weeks, tweet us @NIUNorthernStar using #NIUTop5

Top 5 status went solely based on individual performance. The writer looked at the student-athletes’ previous games, meets or matches to determine if there was a recent spike in performance compared to the overall season.

5. Marcus Jones – Football redshirt sophomore running back

The football team woke up Huskie Stadium Saturday by beating Eastern Illinois in dominating fashion. A big part of their win came at the hands of Marcus Jones.

Jones tallied two touchdowns and was targeted 12 times, resulting in 71 total yards in their the game against Eastern Illinois Sept. 9,

Even with his success thus far, Jones is a team player and never hesitates to credit his team as a reason for his own success.

“[It] feels good especially sitting out last year,” said Jones, according to a Sept. 11 Northern Star article. “You have to credit this offensive line; we have a lot of maturity [here] and these guys just did a great job.”

The football team will likely falter against Nebraska Saturday, but a big game from Jones could dictate otherwise as the team has had success when he plays well.

4. Mackenzie Callahan – freshman cross country runner

Through two events, the NIU cross country team is playing well, including a second place overall finish at the Illinois State Invite Sept. 5.

A lot of that success has to do with Mackenzie Callahan, who finished fifth overall at the UIC Flames/Flyer Opener Sept. 2 and finished 11th overall at the Illinois State Invitational.

Head Coach Adrian Myers complimented Callahan on her performances and her reliability to begin the year.

“[Callahan] has had a great back-to-back weekend showing, holding down the second slot and being consistent for us,” said Myers, according to NIU Media Services. “That’s something that we really need.”

As a freshman, Callahan is already proving her worth as one of the better players on the team and will be a good asset for the Huskies moving forward.

3. Taylor Sarver – women’s soccer junior forward

Similar to last season, Sarver is proving her worth as the Huskies’ best offensive weapon on the field in most games.

In a young season where the soccer team is a respectable 3-2-1, Sarver has not been the reason for any bumps in the road.

Sarver, who was named Mid-American Conference Offensive player of the week Sept. 5, has two goals in a one week time span, including a goal in the team’s’ double-overtime win at the University of Illinois-Chicago Aug. 30.

Sarver does a good job at creating scoring chances for her team, as she has accumulated seven shots and five shots on goal. She also leads the team with four points.

If the women’s soccer team expects to get back to the MAC Championship game and maybe even win conference, Sarver will have to keep it going as the team’s best offensive option.

2. Logan Hatter – men’s soccer redshirt sophomore midfielder

The men’s soccer team is moving on from the Eric Luzzi era and is shifting gears to Ryan Swan, a change that has benefitted Logan Hatter because of the increase in playing time he has been given.

After not seeing action in the 2016 season, Hatter has stepped up in a big way to begin the season, as he tallied one assist and one goal thus far.

Although the stat line may not seem overwhelming, it doesn’t tell the true story. Hatter has shown the ability to make plays when they matter most.

Hatter’s assist came on junior forward Adrian Coardos’ game-winning goal in double overtime against DePaul. In their Saturday game against Stetson, Hatter did the next best thing – scoring the game-winning goal in double-overtime to give the Huskies the win.

“It was a surreal moment,” said Hatter, according to a Sept. 11 Northern Star article. “Once [my teammate] got the ball, I just laid off of him, and I knew [once the ball came to me] that all I was going to do was kick the ball, and it went in.”

Hatter’s success will have to continue as the Huskies are off to a 2-3 start.

1. Kaylee Martin – volleyball freshman outside hitter

With the volleyball team’s 1-11 start to the season, the reasoning for their struggles has not been because of Kaylee Martin.

Martin, a freshman, is proving to be one of the better players on a young team that lost six seniors from a year ago.

Through 11 games, Martin is averaging 12 kills a match and just under 3.2 kills a set. She has surpassed 10 kills in six matches this season.

Martin stunned the crowd at Victor E. Court Tuesday where she recorded 25 kills in four sets, resulting in the team’s first win of the season.

Head Coach Ray Gooden has gone on the record complementing Martin’s game, even as a freshman.

“Things are starting to settle in [for her] and i think she’s starting to find some rhythm,” Gooden said. “I think she’s starting to understand this [college] level a little more so that’s positive.”

Martin leads the team with 127.5 points and os averaging 12 kills a match through only 12 games this season. The team will need continued production and growth from Martin to get back on track this season.