Students compete for laughter

Ryan, a junior year English major, competed at the Lip Sync Battle where he showed off his dance moves in an effort to entertain the crowd.

By Melynda Lewis

The sounds of singing and laughter could be heard throughout the Holmes Student Center Thursday night as students and faculty competed in a lip sync battle modeled after LL Cool J’s hit show, “Lip Sync Battle.”

The night was full of laughs and entertainment as audience members, to their surprise, even got the chance to perform some of their favorites. Students were given the opportunity to put on performances of their favorite songs such as “Little L” by Jamiroquai, “Love On the Brain” by Rihanna, “Take Care” by Drake and “Hello” by Lionel Richie.

Freshman kinesiology major Mary Bailey performed “Break Free,” by Ariana Grande, providing a captivating performance. While Bailey performed, she swayed from side to side, showing off her sass. Bailey was very bold onstage and held the audience’s attention with her charisma.

“I believe my performance was the best due to my amazing energy and positive response from the audience,” Bailey said. “The other performances were funny too.”

The night turned nostalgic as some performers chose to do older songs such as “Cinderella” by the Cheetah Girls and “Everyday” from the 2006 film “High School Musical.”

Instead of lip-syncing, freshman psychology major Regine Hawkins performed a karaoke style of “Love On the Brain” by Rihanna and actually sang. Hawkins was very nervous when she got on stage but gained confidence as she sang.

“I really had a lot of fun,” Hawkins said. “I was nervous at first, but then once I got [on] stage, I wanted to stay up there.”

Bailey and Hawkins were both named as winners of the event and each received a gift card for their performances. The night was fun as students and faculty alike took to the stage.