Organization of the week – Alpha Psi Lambda

By Northern Star staff

Editor’s note: The following text was edited for length and is not directly quoted.

Q: What are your organization’s goals?

A: We strive to raise awareness about the Hispanic/Latino culture on our campus and in the community. We host various events throughout the year.

Q: Why should people join your organization?

A: For many students getting adjusted to college is hard. Joining Alpha Psi Lambda is like joining a family away from home. We are a support network of not only undergrads, but alumni as well. We help to motivate each other to be the best we can be.

Q: What makes your organization unique?

A: We are the only co-ed social fraternity on campus. Being a co-ed fraternity we have brothers and sisters. We consider ourselves a large family.

Q: How many members do you have in your organization?

A: We currently have 28 members on campus and over 3,000 nationwide.

Q: How can people join?

A: Individuals interested can get in contact with any brother or sister. We begin recruitment at the beginning of each semester and we have a recruitment-filled week with events for interested students. We also have informational sessions that students can attend where they will go through an application process.

Q: How would you describe your organization in five words or less?

A: Family away from home

Q: What are the requirements to join your organization?

A: Although we are Latino oriented, we are open to anyone of any background. You must be a second semester freshman or above. We also accept transfer students. Students must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher and a genuine interest for the Hispanic/Latino culture and for Greek life.

Q: What are some upcoming events?

A: We have a pumpkin carving contest with the brothers of Kappa Pi Beta coming up on Oct. 27 at the Latino Resource Center. There will be prizes for those participating. For more information contact Ricardo Segura at 773-236-5455 or at [email protected].

Q: Who should students contact for more information about Alpha Psi Lambda?

A: For more information contact Ana Elizarraga at 224-261-0875 or at [email protected].