Unity March draws crowd

By Marisa Pieroni and Julia Martinez

Students, community members, local faith organizations and law enforcement gathered at MLK Commons to partake in the annual Unity March.

Participants gathered for the Unity Walk at 6 p.m. Wednesday to start an open dialogue about unity and aspire positive change, according to a Sept. 14 NIU media release.

“It’s important for the university to work together to build a stronger community,” President Doug Baker said. “It is particularly important at this time as a university so we can teach others how to work and solve problems together.”

The Unity Walk began in 2014 when New Hope Baptist Church pastor Joe Mitchell asked NIU police chiefs for their support to host the event in order to strengthen the DeKalb community following the events at Ferguson, Missouri, according to NIU Police Chief Thomas Phillips.

“We want to show unity and start a dialogue on race relations in our community,” Phillips said. “This year, everyone after the march is invited to get together to develop strategies on how to be more inclusive of our community members.”

The rev. Ana Blechschmidt, Sycamore resident, is the spiritual adviser for the NIU Pagan Student Association. Blechschmidt said she hopes people will be able to find common ground by engaging in a unified activity.

“As far as the unity of peoples goes, it’s not faith based; it’s humanity based,” Blechschmidt said. “It’s very much a necessity for going forward.”

The Unity Walk is a first for Tatyana Coleman, freshman double hospitality management and pre-physical therapy major.

“The word unity means a lot to me,” Coleman said. “It’s everyone coming together to make a change and to make a stand for something.”

Baker has spoken at the Unity March event every year since 2014, and said this year was the biggest turnout from students.

“At the university, we strive to provide an inclusive environment where students, staff and surrounding community [members] feel valued and engaged,” Baker said.

Participants were asked to walk along Normal Drive to Lucinda Avenue to Greenbriar Road and back to MLK Commons. Transportation was provided for those who wanted to participate, but were not able to walk.

“I sincerely embrace the importance of civil discourse and welcome the opportunity of solution-based dialogue,” said DeKalb Mayor John Rey. “The chance to dialogue with students and civilians represents my interest in solidarity with NIU.”