To do: first week of class

The Rolling Harvest Food Truck serves food like falafel wraps and sweet potato fries and is open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday in August.

By Northern Star staff

1. Get a planner.

Fill out your planner with information available on the course syllabus like midterm dates and homework assignments. Holmes Student Center Bookstore offers free planners.

2. Attend as many club and organizations meetings on campus as possible.

Many clubs and organizations have open meetings to the public or have recruiting events. It’s a great way to meet people who have the same interests as you. Go to niu.collegiatelink.net for more information on clubs like Archery Club or organizations like NIU CAUSE.

3. Buy food at the Rolling Harvest Food Truck.

The Rolling Harvest Food Truck is seasonal, so take advantage of it while it’s parked in the MLK Commons. The truck serves food like falafel wraps and sweet potato fries and is open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday in August. Go to bit.ly/2bLzVAd to order food online.

4. Get dibs on a good seat in your classes.

Pick a good spot right away to set yourself up for success the rest of the semester.

5. Sign up for Emergency Alert text messages.

Emergency Alert text messages allows students to be immediately informed on campus emergencies including local robberies. Go to MyNIU.niu.edu to add your mobile phone number.