Shots fired reported by student center bus turnaround

By Northern Star staff

Shots fired were reported to have occurred at the Holmes Student Center bus turnaround today, according to an NIU safety bulletin.

At 9:15 p.m. today, NIU and DeKalb police responded to reports of a shot fired near the Holmes Student Center, according to the safety bulletin. A single gunshot was was heard near the west side of the student center and suspects were last seen fleeing toward Russell Road. There are no reported injuries.

The suspects are described as a male with a light brown skin, 16-20 years old, medium height and build and wearing a dark green hoodie and gray sweater; a male with dark skin, 16-20 years old, medium height and build and wearing a grey knit hat, blue jacket, gray jeans and black shoes; a male with dark skin, 16-20 years old, medium height and build and wearing an orange camouflage jacket, blue jeans and a black hat and a male with dark skin, 16-20 years old, medium height and build and wearing a black hoodie, black jacket, black jeans and black and white shoes.

Police have two suspects in custody. There is no imminent threat to the campus, according to the safety bulletin.

Anyone with information on the report can contact NIU Police at 815-753-1212, DeKalb Police at 815-748-8400 or anonymously at 815-753-8477.