Modeling group gets Afrocentric for show

Present Perfect Modeling Organization pray before last year’s Afrocentric fashion show on Feb. 26, 2015, in the Duke Ellington Ballroom. This year’s show will begin at 8 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center, Duke Ellington Ballroom.

By Alexis Malapitan

The Present Perfect Modeling Organization will celebrate 31 years of its Afrocentric Fashion Show while honoring Black History Month.

Present Perfect Modeling Organization will showcase fashions to correlate with different scenes. The “Afrocentric” scene being the main event. The fashion show will begin at 8 p.m. today in the Holmes Student Center, Duke Ellington Ballroom, and will include music, refreshments and more.

Oba Daniels, senior communication major and Present Perfect Modeling Organization president, said the show will have four scenes: an all-male scene, chess scene, a black royalty scene and an Afrocentric scene. The show will include a tribute to the popular television show “Soul Train.”

“Overall, it’s a show thrown by our organization by men and women from the school showcasing fashion,” Daniels said. “We also have a poet and a singer coming as well.”

The song and spoken word portions will include members of Ex’pression, an organization that allows NIU students to come and showcase their talents and receive feedback from audience members.

Daniels said he is looking forward to showcasing his modeling organization’s talent.

“I’m excited to see some of our new members perform because I’ve never seen any of them perform,” Daniels said.

Sophomore biology major Takyrah Silmon will perform in many of the show’s scenes and said she’s going to work with the Present Perfect Modeling Organization team to put on a great show for the audience.

“We have a majorette scene and I’m really excited about that because I enjoy dancing. It reminds me of when I used to be a cheerleader, so that’s the one I’m looking forward to the most,” Silmon said.

Jamal Granderson, junior family, consumer and nutrition sciences major and Present Perfect Modeling Organization vice president, said he’s looking forward to the audience enjoying the show.

“I’m excited to see the different scenes and choreography we put together – especially the music because the music makes up a lot of the show, so that’s the big thing here,” Granderson said.