In Focus: Why should students be concerned about the FBI requesting access to Apple users’ data?

The FBI has requested Apple create software meant to help unlock an iPhone in connection with a terrorism attack that occurred in December in which 14 people were killed in San Bernadino, Calif. Apple refuses to create this software and the FBI plans to take the matter to court.

Kara Mercer

Columnist

Students should be concerned about the FBI requesting access to Apple data because it could mean the existence of a software that could potentially be used to unlock any iPhone. This means no information in a student’s phone would be private anymore.  

It is not just students with iPhones that should be concerned. With the creation of this Apple software, the same request could be made to Android as well.

It is important to get the information for the San Bernardino case, but not when it means creating something that could hack into iPhones. Apple made engineers available to advise and offer ideas to the FBI on other investigative options, according to an open letter Apple wrote to its customers. 

The FBI should find another way of getting into Apple phones without putting Apple users’ security at risk. Students stay informed on this issue and be cautious of the technology they use. 

Kaylyn Zielinski

Columnist

The conflict between Apple and the FBI is something students should be following carefully. This is about more than just access into the phones of those who the FBI is targeting, it is also about the confidentiality of everyone’s Apple data.

As students, we do so much with our phones. It is easy to overlook the amount of private information that is in those little devices. iPhones, like other smartphones, have access to the internet which means access to a lot of our own personal information. I turn to my phone to check my bank account and my credit score. I have accessed my loan balances and paid bills many times through my phone’s web browser.

The software could get into the wrong hands and everyone’s information is at risk. We are all entitled to a degree of privacy. I should not have to worry about the security of my private information and I am glad Apple is taking a stand.

Abby Zaccaria

Columnist

Students should be concerned about Apple’s issue with the FBI because it could mean private information is no longer safe on their smartphone anymore.

Though Apple has refused, the FBI is still trying to make them create a software that would make iPhones easier to unlock. The FBI has decided to take Apple to court where if a judge decides in favor of the FBI, Apple will have to comply.

This could be a problem for college students who own an iPhone because if Apple does this, it would make their iPhones less secure. Anyone who can hack into computer systems would be able to break into someone’s phone and access personal data.

If a potential employer saw any embarrassing pictures or text messages, this could prevent the student from getting hired.

Students should remain cautious in what information they store on their phones.

Faith Mellenthin

Columnist

As students of an extremely modern age, technology plays a huge role in managing our very active lives.

While it is important to prevent further acts of terrorism and seek justice, I feel compromising iPhone security is a big price to pay that could cause more problems in the future.

If software was created to access all information from every Apple phone, there is always a strong possibility of theft. If Apple is forced to unlock several phones for the FBI’s purposes, then nothing could be considered safe information anymore.

In a world where identity theft is already a fairly common occurrence, personal data needs to be protected. Apple has tried to give the FBI other options for investigation besides creating this technology. I believe, for the privacy of Apple’s customers, it would be best that the FBI pursue those other options.

As students of an extremely modern age, technology plays a huge role in managing our very active lives. While it is important to prevent further  acts of  terrorism and seek justice, I feel compromising iPhone security is a big price to pay that could cause more problems in the future. If software was created to access all information from every Apple phone, there is always a strong  possibility of theft. If Apple is forced to unlock several phones for the FBI’s purposes, then nothing could be considered safe information anymore. In a world where identity theft is already a fairly common occurrence, personal data needs to be protected. Apple has tried to give the FBI other options for investigation besides creating this technology. I believe, for the privacy of Apple’s customers, it would be best that the FBI pursue those other options.