Faculty Senate demands end to state budget impasse

By Margaret Maka

Faculty Senate passed a resolution calling on Gov. Bruce Rauner and the General Assembly to end the budget impasse.

The resolution is similar to those passed by the University Council and the Student Association, which also call for an end to the impasse and funding for the Monetary Assistance Program grants. Students attending Illinois universities have not received MAP grant funding from the state for the 2015-2016 school year.

The resolution passed unanimously at Wednesday’s Faculty Senate meeting.

“What happens with this is we’ll take this one, as well as the University Council resolution, write a cover letter, and it’ll be forwarded to the governor and legislative leaders,” said Faculty Senate President Greg Long.

The state Senate passed a bill on Aug. 19 that would provide $373 million for MAP grant recipients. The bill awaits House approval, but the Governor has vowed to veto it because he said he does not want a piecemeal budget, according to an Oct. 12 Northern Star article.

Rauner will visit NIU 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. today in the Duke Ellington Ballroom to speak at the DeKalb County Economic Development Corporation’s Annual Dinner and State of the County event. The SA has organized a student rally, which will run 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in the Martin Luther King Jr. Commons, to inform attendants about MAP grant funding and the budget impasse.

State Reps. Bob Pritchard (R-Hinckley) and Ken Dunkin (D-Chicago) will be speak at the rally. All students are invited to attend, according to the SA.