InFocus: Today is World Gratitude Day. What are you grateful for?

By Northern Star staff

Abby Zaccaria, columnist

Overall, I feel I am very lucky, and I have many things to be grateful for.

I am grateful I have a family who loves me and who I can turn to if I am upset over something. I have good friends who I can confide in without being judged.

I am very thankful I have the opportunity to get a good college education because I know not everyone is lucky enough to have the opportunities I have.

I am fortunate because I have always had enough to eat and a comfortable place to sleep. I also live in a neighborhood where I feel safe, and I am thankful for that.

A final thing I am grateful for is that I live in a country where I have the freedom to believe in any religion and speak my mind.

I am a fortunate person to have so many things to be grateful for, and I try not to take those things for granted.

Angela Pagan, columnist

I am grateful for so many things in my life.

As the semester goes on, I realize just how blessed I am to have so many friends and family who love and support me. Both my friends and family are what keep me sane during a hectic semester.

Now that the work load in my classes is getting heavier, I need all the motivation and support possible. Each day my friends and roommates motivate me to stay focused and get my work done before I go out and have fun. My family motivates me because I want to make them proud; I love the smile on my mom’s face when I tell her a test went well or that I am applying for a scholarship.

I am also extremely grateful for the opportunity to go to college. I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to pursue the career of my choice and hopefully create a successful life.

Rachel Scaman, Perspective Editor

I have a lot to be grateful for, and I have come to learn that during my time at NIU.

I am extremely lucky. I have my health, a family, friends, a career that I am happily pursuing and enough financial stability to get me through. I could go on and on about what I am grateful for; however, with sorority recruitment ending Sunday, I would like mention one thing I am particularly grateful for: Alpha Phi.

It may be cliche, but I don’t know where I would be without my sisters. Although I am very lucky, life has thrown me some curve balls that sometimes bring me to a bad place. The ladies of Alpha Phi have not only taught me to have a positive attitude, but also to love myself and the life I live.

This group has shown me what it feels like to never really be alone. Thank you, Alpha Phi. You’ll never know how much you’ve given me.