Domke re-elected SA Senate speaker

By Ashley Morse

Re-elected Student Association Senate speaker for the 2015-16 academic year, Dillon Domke said he hopes to create a conference for Mid-American Conference schools’ student governments.

Domke was voted SA Senate speaker after explaining his plans and debating opponent Senator Brandon Phillips on Sunday at a Senate meeting. Domke said he wants to increase Senate outreach to students and push for all schools in the MAC — the conference NIU sports teams play in — to participate in a student government conference.

Domke has served on the Senate for three years, two of which he has served as speaker. The speaker leads the Senate, which acts as the legislative arm of the SA.

Domke said he participated in the selection of Chief Financial Officer Alan Phillips, who began hi position at NIU on March 1.

Domke said he was most proud of “the fact that [SA] Senate is much more involved across the campus than we have been in the past.”

Phillips, a senator for three years and current SA historian, said he is a “proven leader with a proven background” when asked by Senator Adolfo Sto. Domingo about the qualities that set him apart from Domke.

“My background on Senate is as diverse as the student body that we represent,” Phillips said.

Phillips said if he was elected speaker he would create three Senate committees in addition to the ad hoc committee that was created a week ago to address online election gray areas in the SA bylaws. The ad hoc committee will include one senator from each district to review the SA’s online voting policy.