NIU softball: Alaynie Woollard adds pop to Huskies’ offense

By Chris Loggins

Freshman softball infielder Alaynie Woollard has been a workhorse, starting and playing in 37 of 38 games for NIU this season.

In 101 at-bats, Woollard has hit for an average of .228 with three doubles, a triple, seven stolen bases, 21 runs batted in and an impressive eight home runs, which is second on the team.

Coming from New Castle, Ind., Woollard began playing baseball on her dad’s little league team at 8 years old. She didn’t make the move to softball until she was 12. She eventually had a travel coach who let her know of the Huskies’ interest in her.

“As soon as I got on campus I knew NIU was where I was supposed to be,” Woollard said. “I loved the girls, facilities and coaches right off the bat.”

Q: You’ve quietly become a staple in this lineup. What do you credit your improvement to?

A: I definitely give credit to my coaches and teammates. From the very first practice in the fall they have pushed me to be my best and have never let me settle.

Q: In your freshman year you’ve gotten the opportunity to play with a lot of first-year players who go through many of the same struggles. How have you gotten through the hurdles together?

A: It’s great to have people around you who understand what you are going through. My class is really close, and we are very supportive of each other.

Q: With less than a month left in the season you guys are [near] the top of the MAC West. What are you looking forward to for the rest of the season?

A: I am really looking forward to the MAC Tournament. I have been dreaming about getting a ring for a long time now, and we can definitely do it this year.

I am also looking forward to playing [Ball State]. Since it is so close to my hometown a lot of my family is going to be there.

Q: How much pressure is there to stay consistent throughout an entire season as a first-year player?

A: There is a good amount of pressure throughout the season to stay consistent. Being a younger player you want to perform so that your teammates have confidence in you and trust you.

Q: Even in losses, coach [Christina] Sutcliffe has had … high praise for the team and has been supportive of you. What’s it like knowing that she’s there for the team?

A: It’s awesome knowing that your coach supports you wholeheartedly through thick and thin.

Q: What’s surprised you most about the team in your first year? What has it been like vs. what your expectations were?

A: I expected there to be more separation between the older girls and freshmen when we came in. But, when we got here everyone was very accepting and welcomed us into the family with open arms.

Q: What do you see as your role on the team?

A: My role is to play and do whatever my team needs me to. I try to be a leader on and off the field.