Jazz Lab Band’s 1st show dedicated to DVD release

By Deanna Frances

The Jazz Lab Band is hosting a DVD release concert to raise funds for recording projects and instruments.

The Jazz Lab Band, directed by Rodrigo Villanueva, will perform works by Duke Ellington, Les Hooper and more, said David Robertson, freshman jazz studies major. Robertson said the concert will center on jazz-style music.

“There’s lots of different styles of music,” Robertson said. “NIU has a world-renowned jazz program, and people can see that at our concert.”

Villanueva said the band’s first concert of the year serves as the official release of its performance DVD. He said the proceeds from the sales will go toward student recording projects, instruments and possibly funding a group trip to a performance conference in Mexico.

The show will feature guest faculty with pianist Reggie Thomas and guitarist Fareed Haque. They will play with the students.

“The band usually plays better and learn when they are playing with such inspiring musicians,” Villanueva said.

Dando said there are many freshmen in the ensemble and he is grateful for the opportunity to be able to work with Villanueva.

“He is a really talented musician,” Dando said. “It’s really cool that we get to work with him and that we get to share our talents with people in this band. Music is as important to play for yourself as it is to play for the people around you.”