Jazz Lab Band to record album with songs from performance

The Jazz Lab Band, which will become the Jazz Ensemble in the fall semester, will perform its last concert under its current name 8 p.m. April 13 in the Music Building’s Boutell Memorial Concert Hall.

By Deanna Frances

Members of the Jazz Lab Band will perform their last concert under the ensemble’s name today.

The concert, which will take place 8 p.m. in the Music Building’s Boutell Memorial Concert Hall, will feature a blend of classical jazz from composers Duke Ellington, Benny Carter, Louis Bellson and others, said director Rodrigo Villanueva.

The concert will mark the end of an era as the Jazz Lab Band transitions to its new name, the Jazz Ensemble, in the fall semester, said Lenard Simpson, sophomore jazz studies performance major. Simpson said Jazz Program Director Reggie Thomas came up with the idea for a new name. The current Jazz Ensemble will also change its name to the Jazz Orchestra, Villanueva said.

“The director of our program wanted a new outlook on the jazz program,” Simpson said. “I like the idea of it. It’s something new and something different.”

The Jazz Lab Band will perform a song called “Not Ethiopia” which was arranged by Villanueva, said Lexi Nomikos, sophomore jazz studies major and Jazz Lab Band alto saxophone player. Another piece, “Joy Spring,” arranged by Blaine Young, graduate jazz studies student, will be performed, as well.

Jazz Lab Band members will also record an album that will include music played at Monday’s concert.

“We’re getting ready to record an album near the end of the semester,” Villanueva said. “So, this concert is going to be preparing us for both the album and the jazz festival.”

The Jazz Lab Band will sell copies of its concert DVD at the show Monday to promote and fund its upcoming album, Villanueva said.