Breaking Down the Golden Flashes

By Ryan Simpson

Football returns home for the first time since it beat the Presbyterian Blue Hose, 55-3, Aug. 28. The Huskies (3-1) will take on the Kent State Golden Flashes (0-4) 4 p.m. Saturday at Huskie Stadium. Football beat writer Ryan Simpson breaks down the Golden Flashes.

Quarterback: Colin Reardon

In 2013, sophomore quarterback Colin Reardon had a streak of 104 pass attempts without being picked off. This year, he has averaged almost two picks per game. Reardon has thrown seven interceptions in the last three games and six in the last two games. That spells good times for the Huskies’ defense. Despite his recent string of interceptions, Reardon has completed 54.7 percent of his passes and has a quarterback efficiency rating of 104.34. He’s anything but flashy under center, but a competent passer like Reardon will make any defense work.

Running Back: Nick Holley

Sophomore tailback Nick Holley is Kent State’s leading rusher. During spring camp he made the switch from wideout to running back. Holley had a decent game against the powerhouse that is Ohio State. Holley averaged 5.7 yards on six carries and hauled in six passes for 37, both team highs. He’s rushed for 123 yards and is averaging 3.2 yards per carry. But, without any rushing touchdowns at all this year for Kent State and an improving front seven for NIU, the Huskies should be able keep the Flashes scoreless on the ground.

Wide Receiver: Chris Humphrey

Senior wide receiver Chris Humphrey is coming off a 2013 season in which he led the Golden Flashes in catches (51) and receiving yards (613). In 2014, Humphrey has hauled in 15 passes for 164 yards and one touchdown. Last year against the Huskies, Humphrey caught six passes for 60 yards. He’s only averaging 41 receiving yards per game this year, but the Huskie defense needs to lock him down. Kent State’s five offensive touchdowns have been in the air, so it’s safe to say that Reardon will be looking to Humphrey and the other receivers to increase that number.

Offensive Line: Reno Reda

Sophomore left tackle Reno Reda was a key component of the success the Kent State offensive line had last season. Last year, Kent State’s offensive line was ranked in the nation’s top 20 for fewest sacks allowed. This year, though, the younger offensive line is not having as much success. The Flashes have allowed 13 sacks for a total loss of 91 yards, which is more than three sacks per game. Reda and the rest of the offensive line starters are all underclassmen and don’t have a great deal of experience. If the Huskies’ defensive line finds its way into the backfield early it could be a long day for Reardon.

Defensive Line: Richard Gray

Fifth-year senior defensive end Richard Gray is holding his own on the field after missing all of last season. Gray has recorded 15 total tackles and one tackle for loss through four games this season. The Golden Flashes’ defensive line is on the younger side, and Gray can provide some much-needed leadership. The defensive line may face some struggles going up against an experienced NIU offensive line that is in its third season together. If NIU’s offensive can create running lanes and protect the pocket, the Huskies’ offense could be in for a big day.

Linebacker: Matt Dellinger

Junior linebacker Matt Dellinger is the Golden Flashes’ leading linebacker in tackles (33) and interceptions (one). He is averaging more than eight tackles per game and is coming off a career-high 12 tackles in the Golden Flashes’ loss against the Virginia Cavaliers. Dellinger and the Golden Flashes’ linebacking corps will have their hands full with trying to contain NIU’s ground game. The Huskies are averaging 274.8 rushing yards per game, which ranks 13th in the Football Bowl Subdivision and first in the MAC.

Defensive Back: Nate Holley

Sophomore free safety Nate Holley, who is Nick Holley’s twin brother, leads the Golden Flashes in tackles. After four games, Holley has made 56 tackles and forced two fumbles. In Kent State’s first game of the year against the Ohio Bobcats, Holley was named MAC East Division Defensive Player of the Week and had a career- and team-high 18 tackles and made both of his two forced fumbles. NIU’s pass offense ranks eighth in the MAC (214 passing yards over game) and may need to work away from Holley early on before challenging him deep.

Special Teams: Anthony Melchiori

Junior punter and kicker Anthony Melchiori can do it all on special teams for the Golden Flashes. Through four games, Melchiori has connected on two of his four field goal attempts. He’s 0-1 from 21-29 yards, 1-2 from 30-39 yards and 1-1 from 40-49 yards, and his longest field goal of the season is 43 yards. Melchiori has punted 31 times with an average of 45.7 yards per punt. His longest punt of the season was 71 yards, which was his first punt of the season against Ohio. He was named to the Ray Guy Award watch list; the award is given to college football’s top punter.