Pups coming next week

Michael Herrera, senior political science major, looks out the window of the Huskie Pup Bus Oct. 7 as he takes a ride to class. Three Huskie Pups arrived to campus Monday, but they will not be available for students until next week, said Bill Nicklas, vice president of Operations and Community Relations. 

By Harry Myers

The release date for three Huskie Pup vehicles, originally scheduled for this week, has been delayed until next week.

While there is already a $40,000 Husky Pup driving around, three $18,500-apiece vehicles will arrive on campus today, but they won’t be ready for service until next week, said Bill Nicklas, vice president of Operations and Community Relations. The Pups — 11-passenger shuttles — provide trips across campus areas for students and may be flagged down.

Nicklas did not give an exact date for the vehicles’ debut, but said first, “we need to check for damages and train the drivers.”

The three Huskie Pups will have flaps instead of doors, but they will not have a heating system. The Huskie Pup that rolled onto campus Oct. 3 differs from this design in that it has a heating system and has metal doors, though students have found this design confusing, Nicklas said.

“We’ve discovered that students haven’t been sure whether to open the door or not,” Nicklas said.

Some students who use the system, like Kourtney Madison, sophomore clinical laboratory sciences major, are concerned about other matters, mainly the effects of weather.

“I like the concept [but] don’t think it’ll work well in the winter,” Madison said. “That design could be useful and faster, but how would you stay warm in the winter?”

Brett Williams, Student Association director of Mass Transit, said there are plans to inform students of the Huskie Pups.

“We’ll try to create a PR campaign, get the word out, make viral commercials; there are all sorts of ideas,” Williams said. The project “is showing its ability to be successful, but it’s not there yet. You need to keep in mind that we’re the first university to be doing this. We want to take it slow and get it right.”