Pass/Fail: University’s Anywhere Printing a godsend; Quit blaring music inside MLK Commons

By Carl Nadig

Pass: University’s Anywhere Printing a godsend

I’m grateful I don’t have to participate in “the waiting game” anymore. The objective of the game was simple: be the first one to the printer.

Before Anywhere Printing, all university computers were at the mercy of the designated printing machine and usually a long line of students eagerly printing their materials before class. The problem was waiting in line, usually behind students who waited a few minutes before class to print their materials. It seemed like every student in a computer lab simultaneously stood up and walked to the printer in a hurry.

Now, if there’s a line for the printer in the library’s computer, I don’t need to wait. The moment after I click on “print,” I’m hurrying down the library’s three flights of escalator steps and blasting out of the front entrance of the library and running toward the nearest printer. Just a few minutes before class, I’m pressing the “print all” without waiting for anyone else in line.

Thank you, Anywhere Printing, for replacing “the waiting game” with this personal racing course. Now, procrastinating students like myself can avoid long lines and print our last-minute papers.

Fail: Quit blaring music inside MLK Commons

Now is probably not the best time to recruit students into extracurricular organizations, especially by advertising your organization by playing loud music in the Martin Luther King Jr. Commons.

By now, most students are well acquainted with their schedules and don’t have much free time to join additional activities that take away from their studies, jobs and other responsibilities. If they wanted to, they would’ve joined by now.

So, when student organizations play loud music in an open area, especially in the MLK Commons, it’s not the most effective way to recruit students.

Instead, it’s annoying. It’s especially distracting to hear muffled sound waves reverberate inside the library around students who are quietly reading and studying near the northern sections of the building.

The loud music doesn’t attract students; rather, it makes walking to class more awkward for the students who simply don’t care or the busy ones who have their day schedule planned out.

Please, turn the music down to an appropriate level.

Do I sound like an old curmudgeon yet?